Disaster Preparedness Announcement

by daniel-p 34 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Tonight would have been my long meeting but I didn't attend. However, my wife attended and she just came back and told me about an announcement they made in the form of a "letter to all congregations..." Aparently they (WTS) want everyone to be prepared for disasters and measures will be taken to make sure congregations and their members are prepared. Each member will provide their number, cell numbers, and numbers of close relatives. This is all the info she gave me.

I don't know about you all, but I don't like the sound of this one bit.

• Spectre
    Spectre

This almost sounds like they are preparing the Kool-Aid.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Actually I like the sound of this, well since Katrina, Francis, California Fires, Floods in the mid west, its actually not a bad idea to have some kind of emergency kit set up, I live in California, so we have our Earthquake kit, but I am sure the Jduds reported this information with a little hook, like WE KNOW SOMETHING YOU DON'T But honestly I think they just want to get everyones phone number for their records. Did they even tell your wife to have a emergency kit ready for any kind of natural disaster?

I am so tired of people thinking they actually know anything than what the inside of their ass looks like.

• Scully
    Scully
    Each member will provide their number, cell numbers, and numbers of close relatives.

So they can hunt you down if you stop going to meetings after a hurricane maybe?

What are they going to do if you refuse to give them this information? Disfellowship you?

• blondie
    blondie
    Aparently they (WTS) want everyone to be prepared for disasters and measures will be taken to make sure congregations and their members are prepared. Each member will provide their number, cell numbers, and numbers of close relatives.

I just think the WTS got caught with their pants down with Katrina and recent disasters, with elders not having kept up their lists on members.

I can remember certain elders always calling us to get the numbers and addresses of members because they knew we kept ours current.

Blondie

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, I do know of JWs who refused to give their phone numbers to the elders....these JWs have unpublished numbers and know how the elders handle confidential info. I figure if your number is in the book; there is no point in keeping it "secret" from the elders.

Blondie

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

So I guess the watchliar society will have full control of the land line and cell phone systems?

I would worry more if they wanted your banking info...

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Its part of self regulation in the UK. I have to organise Disaster Recovery Plans for all our sites around the UK - this keeps a list of all staff in positions of authority and contacts for plumbers, security, fire, etc. I think its becoming law to have this wherever a building is used for public or business reasons. Its also for reasons of epidemni - ie bird flu - so staff can be contacted urgently and told to remain at home that sort of thing and for terrorist outbreaks.

Its not JW-centric - they have to obey caesars laws too.

• blondie
    blondie

It's not required in the US; that's why the government has to monitor its citizens secretly. I can imagine the uproar if businesses were required to keep a list of people's addresses and phone numbers. It is voluntary for the purposes of notifying family and your doctor if you are injured at work; still some do not volunteer info due to privacy issues.

Blondie

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

My wife brought home a document that they wanted filled out to be returned to them. And when I flat out refused I guess she filled it out herself and turned it ini.

She tried the old, "the brothers need this information just in case you'll need any help from them in case of an emergency" line with me. I told her that we h ad plenty of insurance and that their help will not be needed if we had an emergency.

The document itself was asking for more information than I'd give on a credit application.

In the past, I thought they were discouraged from keeping records to that degree on people...you know.....just in case the government turns against them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit