JW and Home Schooling WHY, WHY, WHY????????

by Wordly Andre 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Wordly Andre
  • Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Is there anything I can say or do to help him?

• damselfly
    damselfly

Does he eventually want to at least get a trade? Some college?

I found out that "technically" my "homeschooling" did NOT meet the provinces grad requirements but they let it slide. May be taht's the case in his area aswell?

Dams

• atypical
    atypical

Thanks, Dams. I have been trying to figure all that stuff out and get going with it. I realized awhile back that I have complained about missing out on college for too long - from here on out I have no excuses if I don't do it.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

when he was younger he would say he wanted to be a scientist, poor guy. I feel like taking him to my college and showing him around, it was really tough for me since while growing up education was not important at all, I am still trying to get my degree. I don't want him to be like me 30 and still working for a degree.

• atypical
    atypical

Andre, I feel your pain - I am 30 and haven't started on my degree yet. Every time I hear about a youngster throwing away their chances and pioneering instead, I just want to scream.

• Honesty
    Honesty

My parents raised me in a cult somewhat like the jw's (Worldwide Church of God) but without the constraints of education emphasised.

The reason they didn't stress college to me or my 6 brothers.......

1975 (I graduated H.S. in 1971) is just around the corner .

That's right, their crazy cult taught the exact same BS that the Watchtower did at the same time. Unfortunately, I didn't become aware of the Watchtower's failed prophesy until I had been a member of the jw cult for almost 13 years. When I found out, I started an unsuccessful fade because something just didn't add up.

I am now 53 with 5 surviving brothers who never attended college, either. It's a struggle, to say the least.

My sister was born in 1966 and went to college. At least my parents woke up enough in 1983 to help her get a decent education.

She escaped the WWCoG cult, too but at a high cost.

I suggest encouraging your nephews as much as possible to get an education.

They will need it more than we did.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

It's all about control. The more the watchliar society can control the input, the "better" class of little clones it gets in return.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Worldly Andre,

I would definately take him to your college and show him around. Anything you can do to open up the world to him is going to be so helpful to him in the long run. That's what High School is supposed to be about, discovering the world around you, your possibilities, your likes and dislikes, and becoming a socially adept person!

I'd also look into the requirements for graduation in your local area. Even if he doesn't go to public high school, some areas will allow home schooled kids to graduate, or at least take the GED test, when they are finished with certian course requirements. And imho, it will keep the kids focused on some type of structured learning program, if they have some standard to fulfill.

And keep talking to him, ask him what interests him, what he wants to be when he grows up... so he feels like he has possiblities in life beyond Pioneering or Bethel Service....

Good luck to both of you! He's lucky to have you on his side!

GGG

• love11
    love11

I'm in the same boat as you Andre, still working on a degree at 30.

I was also homeschooled during my high school years, even though I was on the honor roll. Just out of curiosity, is doing kingdom hall "homework" and school homework getting to be too burdensome for him? That was my case, studying for the meetings put me WAY behind on my homework, my mom humiliated me and asked if I could go into slow learner classes. The school knew something was wrong but I could never tell them. Do you think he might be finding it easier of a load to carry if he homeschooled instead of going to school? If you find their motivation then maybe you can start there. BTW- I'm on the National Dean's List now and I carry a 4.0 GPA going full-time, with raising 2 kids. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, just showing you that the JW really do want to keep there offspring at the same or less intelligence as they are.

You had a good idea about taking him to your school!! Help him with the paper work if you can. Sometimes with the help of grants, he could go to college for free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit