JW and Home Schooling WHY, WHY, WHY????????

by Wordly Andre 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I just heard that my nephew will not be attending High School, instead will be doing Home schooling, Why do JW’s pressure their kids into home schooling? I really do love my nephew he is a bright kid, I think he would do really great in High School, and hopefully attend college, but I was informed yesterday that he will not be going to High School because its not safe, and besides he made the decision not to go. I am sorry but he should go, I know what they got planned for him, Home School and full time service, this is the time of his life where he needs to concentrate on his education, he will end up just like his mother, who also never attended High School, seems that when your totally lost into the society, covering all aspects of your life, that leaves you socially inept, depressed, and have a distorted view of the world. What should I tell him, and my family to change their minds? Is there any hope? Why do JW fcuk up their kids like this?

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I wish I didnt have an opinion on this...but my sister in law and her JW husband are raising their FIVE children home schooled in a 1400 square foot house! The two oldest are already baptized. The dad does car detailing and painting and is "teaching the boys" and they are "naturals and doing so well". Ok...do the kids have ANY say so in any of this? The second oldest is a very talented artist and does he really want to paint CARS the rest of his life?? The oldest is a very large boy, overweight, never seemed particuarly happy to me, and last I heard he was going to Bethel. Well if BETHEL is the only place to GO to get OUT OF THAT HOUSE then I say to him GO at least you will see NEW YORK and get out of that box!

I know other kids that are not JWs that are homeschooled but they have activities outside the house with other home schooled kids in groups, they are in activities like golf and dance and soccer and busy, socially balanced kids...so its not just the home schooling thing but the STIFLING of a human being into a mold...like Japanese women who wear those horrible things on their feet to keep them petite.

The danger here is not the kids at the school..its the parents.

• atypical
    atypical

A subject dear to my heart......I too took the home school route at the encouragement of my parents and those in my congregation. I had perfect straight A's all through school and could have moved on to a great education.

I really think that home school helps make sure that a young person avoids an open mind and stays easier to control. Reminds me of the movie "The Village". Now, although I have managed to start my own business and make decent money, I have to do physical, mind numbing work every day with not much hope of a good retirement later. I am trying to figure out how to afford the time and money to get a degree while working 55+ hours per week.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Eight Marks of a Mind-Control Cult

by Randall Watters

Milieu Control

"Milieu" is a French word meaning "surroundings; environment." Cults are able to control the environment around their recruits in a number of ways, but almost always using a form of isolation. Recruits can be physically separated from society, or they can be warned under threat of punishment to stay away from the world's educational media, especially when it might provoke critical thinking....

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

The thought is admirable--keep kids out of high school and you can keep them from all the bad things that come with HS culture. Public schools are bad, especially in San Diego since there's an evident lack of funding. If you home school your kids, just do it for high school, or middle school. There are two kids in my hall who have been home schooled their whole lives. You have never met more boring, naive, humorless, little sensitive Watchtower salespersons in your life. They are so sheltered that I actually hope the sheltering goes on for the rest of their lives. If they get a job around normal people, watch out! They're gonna freak out and not want to work ever again. Those kids are socially stunted.

Home school your kids if you must, but make sure they know how to interact with society independently.

• damselfly
    damselfly

<<he will not be going to High School because its not safe, and besides he made the decision not to go.>>

BS in my opinion. What kid *wants* to be sheltered in the house with his parents 24 hrs a day?

I was pulled out after jr high and "home schooled" this was code for work your ass for the fall months on an elder's farm (yup, that's right) so I could pay the hundreds of dollars for the courses and books.
    Of course this meant that I got a late start on my studies for the year and so had to cram it all in if I wanted to finish. There was no "schooling" I taught myself everything, if I ran into problems I had to figure it out myself.

There are huge gaps in my knowledge base.

My parents told everyone that I *wanted* to be homeschooled, when in reality it was their way or find someplace else to live.

• dvw
    dvw

i dont think home schooling is neccesarilly a terrible idea on it's own. if a parent thinks a particular school district is crappy he might consider home schooling if he has the smarts and willpower to do it. on one hand, you want to protect your kids from "bad association", on the other, you dont want to stunt them socially. on the third hand, dub parents are so screwed up themselves, no matter what they do it probably wont turn out to hot.

• damselfly
    damselfly

*waves @ atypical*

You can find a way to go to school, there's loans, scholarships, bursaries etc. If you research what you really want to do and know the employment rate and salary in your area, then you can figure out what your loan payments would be versus what your new salary will be. This is what I did and it should work out great (plus I got a bursary for both years of my new program).

I've worked while going to school before and it hasn;t really been a problem as long as I schedule set study times (lunch hours and before first class of the day worked out really well) I never had to study after scholl as I got it done during the day.

You can do it. :P

Dams

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

It is all about control. Keep kids ignornant and do not allow any critical thinking skills they will believe anything that you tell them. I have to agree with the poster that mentioned the movie the "village." It is the JW life.

Leslie

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

At least this kid is getting the benefit of home schooling. I know of at least a coupld of JW families that pulled their kids out of high school altogether. These kids only out is WT meetings and service. One person in particular I know pulled their son out of school and his only activity is an occasional outing with "the brothers" ....even staying with them to help in convention and congregational activities. It's criminal what they're doing to these kids. They have no thought that one day, these kids may decide that they don't want to be a JW anymore and will be expected to take care of themselves. I guess they'll have fresh examples to point to when these kids, if they leave Gee-whore-bah, try to make it in the real world and they fall on their face.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit