Jehovah's Witnesses and beards

by Dave_T 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I thought that the ban on women wearing trousers was a JW unwritten rule, but Blondie found several articles in which, while it was not condemned, it was described as attire that could "stumble" others.

We discussed it in this thread.

• Dave_T
    Dave_T

Funny how elders can create their own additional rules based on what they regard as possible stumbling causes.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Does anyone here remember a certain story that once seemed to be repeated everytime the subject of beards came up:

Allegedly, one "brother" used to sport a well-groomed beard. At least, he did - until one day while engaged in Field Service / Hawking Watchtower Products, a woman was insistent that she "did not want to be part of a Student Rebellion."

This supposed incident was (apparently!) proof that beards could "stumble" members of the public.

Whether this incident ever happened or not, the story was repeated on the program of at least one District Assembly.

I can remember when, in some congregations at least, the no-beard rule was relaxed for a few years in the mid-1970s. As the end was just that close now, it was thought that JWs must be trained to use their conscience. After all, once "persecution" hit - they would be cut off from the WTS, and unable to expect direction on every last thing!

It followed from this that such matters as dress and grooming were matters of conscience - not matters for the WTS to legislate.

Did the WTS soon do an about-face on that one, once they realised that this would give the R&F some control back in their lives! (Can't have that, can we?)

Jack

• Stealth
    Stealth

Sporting a well trimed beard was one of my first acts of rebellion while still in. It really makes the elders uncomfortable because they know there is no basis for such a ban in the bible. However they will try to guilt you into shaving if they can.

I continued to go out in field service and give talks in the public school with the beard.

Many publishers told me how good it looked on me and they could not understand why the WT did not like it.

If they tried to use the rebel argument with me, I threw it back at them that now it does not indicate such as in the 60s. Now doctors, lawyers, Judges all wear beards with no negative connotation, and I continued on with all of my JW activities like there was nothing wrong.

When I finally walked out and never showed back up, they were glad to see me go.

The beard caused to many people to as questions and start to think for themselves.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

It really is a silly "rule" isn't it? I now proudly wear a well trimmed goatee, I love the looks I get from my JW family members, they reaffirm just how silly and shallow the JW culture is. They are like a bunch of prissy little school girls.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit