Were your parents a different religion before JDubism?

by Crumpet 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    ((((((((((Crumpet)))))))))))) I read your experience on jwfacts' page and it's heartbreaking! You have been through so much, and yet you are such a positive-spirited, up-beat presence on this forum! You are wonderful!

My ears are so ticklish! Thanks Good girl bad girl!

Welcome to the board Lisarose.

And thanks to everyone for their comments - I guess I am just trying to find answers or a pattern, and really there isn't a set pattern for every person....

• apfergus
    apfergus

My father was raised Southern Baptist and had it repeatedly drilled into his head growing up that he was going to burn in Hell. He now will have nothing to do with religion. My mother was raised methodist, converted to presbyterianism (or maybe it was the other way around, I don't remember), and then converted to JW-ism when I was six or so. Dad went to a couple conventions and a memorial, but after that his patience wore thin and he pretty much disappeared as I was at the Kingdom Hall or doing something related to it pretty much all the time for years after that.
    I think my mom's conversion was because she wanted answers. She didn't find them in any of the myriad of religions she tried when she was growing up or even after I was born. At some point she remembered that one of her boyfriends in college left her because he was studying with the JWs, so she just looked up the KH in the phone book, drove over, met a car full of sisters in the parking lot who asked if she wanted a bible study and the rest is history.

• mavie
    mavie

Catholic. Entire family was Catholic. Now they are all JW's.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Crumpet,

Re: Were your parents a different religion before JDubism?

No they never became Dubs. 3 of their 4 kids did though. I tried and tried to get them to go to a KH. But, to no avail.

Dismembered

• Mulan
    Mulan

My parents went to local churches, and I went to Sunday school at a Methodist church. Religion didn't matter, just the closest church.

Mom was raised Baptist, and Dad's family were Christian Scientists. Weird, eh?

Before that they were Quakers. I have along history of weird religions.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

As I was growing up, I thought ALL English people were CofE - the only exception I knew of was the Catholic family who lived in next road.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

And I was Christened (Baptised) CofE at 6 weeks old (AND I have the certificate to prove it, lol) - so why would I need a 2nd (Dubist) Baptism?

• Grog
    Grog

Lets see... My dad was raised catholic and was an alter boy for awhile though he wasn't the one that went into it first... which seems to be a pattern. My mom I don't think really belonged to any set religion. Her parents were old fashioned and she mentioned reading a bible a bunch growing up but we never went to a church before the witness one. I'm really not to sure why on my parents... my dad eventually got sucked in as anyone does in this faith I think. My mom thinks that witnesses are the only ones that teach what really happens after death.. and the real hope for the future etc. I remember we started in 1984 come to think of it.. the irony of it all. Now my dad has kinda drifted, he still likes to spout it when he has been drinking but he makes maybe 10% of the meetings. I don't think he buys it all.. he likes to read to much but my mom hasn't read a non JW Book in like 20 years no joke. So she is super sucked in... nothing in the bible can be wrong etc. At least she is cool to me and knows how I feel. So happy I never got baptized. My family minus dad is away at the convention in SF tomorrow, I think I had to turn down the invite like 10 times. good question btw crumpet.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Thanks Grog!

My family minus dad is away at the convention in SF tomorrow, I think I had to turn down the invite like 10 times.

Now are you SURE you dont want to go to the DC?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit