Prayers, Blessings and Grace Before Meals

by lisavegas420 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Why would I thank someone who doesnt exist? Would I thank santa claus for my christmas presents?

I thank the chef if its at a restaurant - they always seem to like that and I thank my host who bought and cooked it if at a private home.

I'd be extremely insulted if someone came to my house and thanked god for the food - god had nothing to do with it, but if they think he did then next time they can come sit at an empty table and wait for him to deliver!

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

lol @ Crumpet.

I said that to my husband one time. I said who are you thanking? I bought the food and prepared it. He said. "I was thanking God for you."

lisa

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

LOL lisa - good on you! I get right arsey when it comes to voicing my newfound atheism now don't I?

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I said that to my husband one time. I said who are you thanking? I bought the food and prepared it. He said. "I was thanking God for you."

Good save!!!

• blondie
    blondie

If you do believe in God, and prayer is part of your daily life, should it just happen at meal time? Isn't it better to concentrate on those private opportunities for prayer rather than worry about public ones. If your spouse only said they loved you in front of other people, but never in private, what might you think?

My experience was that many JWs made a public show of prayer but demonstrated that in their daily life, prayer was seldom made. I knew JWs that never had meal time prayers at home when it was just the family, but publicly prayed when they had company for dinner.

Blondie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It really depends on the occasion. We've had a few staff outings, from work, and I've been asked to say grace. When I do I usually make reference to the occasion and/or the individual the event is about and their life. Folks tend to appreciate that. If it's a mixed gathering and folks look awkwardly about, wondering if someone is going to say something, I'll usually leap in with something at least mildly amusing. It's a good opportunity to break the ice

Other than that folks would likely never tell that I say grace because I don't make a show about it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit