Prayers, Blessings and Grace Before Meals

by lisavegas420 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I was wondering how many people say blessings, grace or prayers before eating meals. Do you do it every meal, during entertaining? In a restrauant, alone? in a group?

I usually don't...not trying to be rude, just don't think about it. My husband always does, no matter where or who's around. In the 15 years that we've been together, I don't believe he has ever not said grace before eating. If I don't have my mouth already full of food, he'll say it for both of us, otherwise he says his own quietly....even in a group, even in a restrauant.

Last weekend at the MI apostafest, I thought I noticed a moment of hesitation as if no one knew, what to do, or if a prayer should be said. (might have been my imagination, but FreedomFrog and I did talk about whether or not they would or not)

Every office party, every family reunion, I've ever been to, since leaving JW's someone said grace before eating. Usually just saying something about being greatful for all that were able to gather together and the food that we were about to eat.

lisa

• serendipity
    serendipity

HI Lisa,

I rarely say a prayer before eating, except on the rare occasions my daughter and I actually eat a meal at the same time. I save my routine praying for nightime.

It's interesting people pray at your office events. I only had that happen once, and it was kind of awkward when the manager asked if she could pray with us. At family gatherings, my family prays before meals.

• anewme
    anewme

Marrying a man who has no religion has been awkward at the dinner table when it comes to grace. He does not stop me or belittle me from taking his hand and saying thankyou God for this man, this life and this food. But I dont wear it out. I only say it every now and then.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I usually just pray this prayer to silently:

Lord, we cleared this land. We plowed it, sowed it, and harvest it. We cook the harvest. It wouldn't be here and we wouldn't be eating it if we hadn't done it all ourselves. We worked dog-bone hard for every crumb and morsel, but we thank you Lord just the same for the food we're about to eat, amen.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

saying a family prayer is good for morale, but enough is enough!

my inlaws used to say prayer even for a cup of coffee!

those long ones are really a clincher too

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I don't believe in god, so I thank my wife for the time, effort, and love that went into the meal's preparation.

Credit where credit is due.

• JH
    JH

Nice prayer IP

Amen brother

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

I don't. BUT

An aquaintence of mine, whom I would call a Bad Dude (gang banger) , humbled me. As before he ate his meal, he offered a silent prayer at a restaurant. I ask him about this. He told me that he always asks the Lord to bless his meal.

uwishufish

• Taythan
    Taythan

I have never individually said a prayer or blessing before a meal since leaving. On occasion I run into situations where there are folks of other chrisitan denominations, usually old grandmothers who say grace and if it makes them happy it doesn't bother me at all to wait a moment with my head bowed. The way I figure it's not worth an argument so just play along and smile.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I forgot to add that my husband is not nor has ever been a JW. He was raised in a Baptist family and his dad was a baptist minister from the age 16 years old until he passed away in his 70's.

I just follow the lead of the host/hostess at a party or if a group is eating together .

Thanks for all that has replyed to this thread.

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit