has humanity the intelligence to transcend love?

by the dreamer dreaming 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• parakeet
    parakeet

***but allow people to marry legally when one or both of them are mentally impaired by being under the influence of very powerful biological drugs?***
    WHAT???!!!
    Actually, what I meant to say was ........... WHAT???!!!

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming
    I'd like to understand why you chose the phrase "take advantage of" as opposed to perhaps "respond to" or "take action in response to"?

of course I could be wrong about humans in general...but it seems to me that a lot of people out there get the hook up because of biological impairment on the part of one of the members while the other, in clear rational mind, is using that impairment to his or her advantage... in prostitution, both parties are clear of mind so to speak, though I guess a case could be made that the john is in need of a fix, he is still using his right mind, so to speak in getting it and getting what he wants rather than someone using his impairment against him, as in the case of a rich guy falling for a young gold digger, for example... though, the difference is escaping me at the moment [hmmmmmmmm]... I guess the difference is when he does not know she is a gold digger, see?

or when a horny guy has no real caring over the gal who has fallen for him, but wants the sex...and she gives it up because she LOVES him, etc.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Usually when people "transcend" love (or any other natural human emotion),
    we consider them sociopathic, android, or vulcan, (as opposed to human), no?

and it said:

- to pass beyond the limits of.
    - to be greater than, as in intensity or power; surpass: love that transcends infatuation.
    - to exist above and independent of (material experience or the universe):
    “One never can see the thing in itself, because the mind does not transcend phenomena” (Hilaire Belloc).

I don't find love to have limit.
    And I hope not to live my life independant of love.

I'm not sure that love and chemistry are one and the same.

Perhaps you are asking about the ability to transcend LUST??
    If so, then I can very much understand the question
    as well as the addiction analogy.

There is a book called "the six secrets of a lasting relationship".
    I haven't read it, but someone shared the following with me and I thought this list was, at least, interesting food for thought:

Chemistry
    Respect
    Empathy
    Acceptance
    Trust
    Enjoyment

SPAZ

• anewme
  • anewme
    anewme

(did you know you could actually increase your posts with your elbow?)

Anyway, I was going to say

I dont think "transcending love" is quite the goal for humans.

Love is the highest emotion and state of mind that a human can aspire to.

But back to your post about endorphins and attraction and clouded thinking and judgement.
    I know that one! Thats called a-d-u-l-t-e-r-y! Do it and then you get d-i-v-o-r-c-e-d!
    Dont take much intelligence to do that!

• Kristofer
    Kristofer

My two cents:

Love is an action, not a feeling. Love is what you do or what someone does to you, not what you feel from that action. You may feel great happiness, contentment, euphoria...But if you ask someone, "How do you feel right now?" I don't think "I feel love" is an answer that makes much sense.
    I can feel good, I can feel humbled, or so fortunate.

When you love someone...you care for them in a selfless way...but again..it's an action. Wanting their happiness above your own or even at your own expense.

• daystar
    daystar

Kristofer

I'm sorry, but I don't think your post makes much sense. Love is not an action. It is an emotion. Just as any emotion, it may cause a person to behave in certain ways, but it in itself is not an action.

Perhaps you're assuming love must have one object? I can certainly "feel love" when asked how do I feel generally, without it even pertaining to a single other person.

• Twitch
    Twitch

The subject line implies that humanity is lacking for feeling/acting on/showing love, regardless of the definition

I disagree. There is nothing higher. And nothing more human.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    horny guy has no real caring over the gal who has fallen for him, but wants the sex...and she gives it up because she LOVES him, etc.

And here I thought all this time women give it up because they are horny and like sex too?

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

This thread makes me horny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit