Need opinions, advices on long studies and returning to school

by Genesis 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Genesis
    Genesis

Hi fellow apostate brothers and sisters,

As some of you know I plan to return to school to obtain a PH.D in Psychology. Ill have to start from the basics. 2 Years of College degree, 4 years to have a Bachelor,2 Years for the Master Degree and 4 years for the Phd which make a total of 12 Years of school! I am 20 since yesterday and plan to begin my studies in 1 years so Ill finish at 33. What do you think of it ?

I think that it worth all these years of study in order to work in the field I love and to have a decent pay but somehow I find it disturbing to know that Ill be able to work only when 33 years old and since I want to raise a family oneday Ill have to wait after my studies.

Also, I would like to know about financing studies. I fear that it will be very hard to give my 100% in my study while having to work to be able to pay my bills and stuff.

I would like to mention that my girlfriend will do the same thing (returning to school) and that we'll move in appart together in one years and plan to stay together for our studies.

Any advices, opinions ?

Thanks,

Joff

• kid-A
    kid-A

Why do you need a 2 year college program? Most Canadian Universities accept students directly out of high school. You could finish an undergrad degree in 4 years, followed by a 5 year Clinical Psychology Doctoral program, which would be a total of 9 years, which is pretty standard for this field.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

When I was deciding whether or not to return to school, I said to a friend, "I want to go, but I'll be 30 by the time I'm finished."

This very wise friend replied, "If you don't die, you're going to be 30 anyway. Wouldn't you rather be 30 and have the degree?"

Jankyn

• Genesis
    Genesis

kid-a : Yes but to not have to do the College you must have sufficient work experience in the field you want to go at the University I think. If yes, I work in Computer Science, not Social science so I dont think I could skip the College unfortunatly... and are you sure about the 9 years Doctoral Clinical Psychology program ? thanks

Jenkyn : yeah its so true, id rather have the degree !

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Well I don't know anything about the Canadian college system, but down here in the US its pretty easy to obtain financial aid sponsored by the federal government. I'm about 2/3 of the way done with my BS and down only about $10,000 in loans.

Like Kid-A said, why would you need a total of 6 years to get to the Bachelor level? Is it because you need prerequisites to get into the BA program? Also, a lot of PhD programs don't require you to have a Masters degree to enter into the program, but you can be granted one along the way in during your PhD candadacy.

In any case, I would wholeheartedly recomend returning to school for higher education. I was out of school for 5 years while pioneering and going to Bethel and when I got done with that I had very little to show for it. I regret not continuing on into college right away since I had to make up for everything I forgot since high school. Anyway, stick in there, and like me I think you wll enjoy college and realize that life doesn't stop when you are in college - you will have more freedom in your college years than any other time in your life, so take advantage of it.

• Genesis
    Genesis

Yeah daniel-p like you said life doesnt stop while at school so no matter how many years it takes it will be years of good time :) !

• rebel8
    rebel8

In the US, you can become a psychotherapist by getting a Master's Degree in certain fields. If that's what you want to do, that may save you some time.

• Genesis
    Genesis

In quebec you need to be member of the Psychologue Order which requires a PH.d !

• frozen one
    frozen one

I really like reading posts like this. I started college at age 33. It took 6 years to finish my bachelors as I was working full time. But I did it. If I can earn a degree, anyone can (I'm pretty dense). I've taken a few grad courses. Maybe I'll finish it...

Good for you, Genesis.

• damselfly
    damselfly

The length of the program is well worth it. I really wish I had started school way back when, instead of a few years ago.

Depending on what your schedule is like, it's never been a problem for me to work while going to school.

Do it now or when you hit 30 you will have so many regrets.

Dams

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit