Why is truth is so hard to find in Bible

by The Dragon 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

I have been studing it for years looking for answers....yet for every answer I find there is a counter to it.

The words themselves are twisted by leaders/teachers to fit their personal opinions and adgendas, as well as twisted by trying to rely on our own reasoning to understand them.

A good example would be the way our current system of laws work.

If the supreme court writes a law into the book..say for example.."evil" is anyone who does this......

It is then turned over to a bunch of undereducated enforcers to interpert and judge others they feel are "evil". They are allowed to accuse and shoot first asking questions later. The only hope the accused has is alot of persistance and money to approach the supreme court and see if their definition and the undereducated's are one in the same. Hoping the spreme court will turn on the enforcers to do whats right and not try to protect them to save face. At least we have that as an option in our system.

With the Bible....there is no author/or supreme court to appeal to. There is no way of making sure the undereducated are "right" by the author.

"Evil" is defined by millions of leaders/teachers differently.

How hopeless is it to try to be unevil in a million different eyes?

The truth is the Supreme Court/Author is MIA and we are screwed trying to find any truth until we hear it straight from the Author of the book.

Unless i am missing something. If that is the case...could someone point me in the right direction?

want a million different gods with different opinions? Or one?

Personally I would like to have only one.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    If that is the case...could someone point me in the right direction?

Looks like you are already headed in the right direction grasshoppah.

Keep on truckin.

• The Dragon
    The Dragon

Problem is..it seems to be a hopeless direction....and that was not exactly what i was trying to find. I would like to find a little hope.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

the point that you make is very valid.

if God wants us to live according to some rules, why are they not clear? Why is nothing in the bible really clear, even the most fundamental questions?

It is not clear what happens when we die, it is not clear what God really is. It is not clear what is good and bad, etc.

So, maybe you could consider it a book of man, not from God and you are heading in the right direction....

Danny

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    I would like to find a little hope.

There is hope outside god/gods and bibles/vedas/whatevah.

You just need faith. *sorry I couldnt resist*

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Welcome, Dragon.

As has already been pointed out, you seem to be heading in the right direction. Recognizing what is false, prepares us for seeing what is true.

It would make sense, would it not, to look for truth within what we already undeniably know to be true? Every-ones personal viewpoints are to varying degrees different. However, we all experience a sense of conscious awareness/existence.

Everything phenomenally experienced may not be true; everything read and believed may be a lie; it may all be a dream; but the silent witnessing consciousness which is aware, is real and true. Why not shift attention here within this vast genuine pool and see what can be found? How deep does the living-truth of consciousness go? Who/what, am I, really?

Don't need a Bible, or religion, or masters, or travel to some other place or time to discover what IS, already.

Be still, and know...

j

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Why are you looking so hard to find "truth" in the bible?

When was it ever about that?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I don't think truth per se is found simply in the bible. I was talking to a JW yesterday and he quoted the scripture concerning the word of God being a two edged sword. His point was that the bible is the source of truth regarding God's word and that it could be used as such - my counter was as follows:

The words written in the bible are not the word of God (technically God never spoke any English and my translation contains nothing more than the best approximation of a culture 2000+- years old.) but even if they were literal quotes written in the original language and we were fluent hebrew/aramaic etc.. speakers familiar with the cultural idioms of the day, they still denote no more than words until they are read by someone who is inspired. When an inspired peson reads the words of scripture then the message is communicated to those that hear/read on a level beyond simple sound - they feel the meaning of the words rather than just a text based comprehension - when someone hears inspiration they cannot help but be moved. If an uninspired person or even someone actively opposed to the scriptural text they are reading begins to quote scripture then the words they read cease to be the words of God for they have no inspired context. The Pharisses could read the 'word of God' all day but it would never be the same as when Jesus taught the same text but 'as one having authority'.

(New Testament | 2 Timothy 3:16)

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Scripture should be approached IMO with humility and sacredness and in the attitude of prayer for it to be of real power and inspiration.

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 63:64)

Remember that that which cometh from above is sacred, and must be spoken with care, and by constraint of the Spirit; and in this there is no condemnation, and ye receive the Spirit through prayer; wherefore, without this there remaineth condemnation.

• poppers
    poppers

The mistake people make in finding truth is where they look for it. "Truth" isn't "out there" in some dusty book or obscure philosophy. Truth is all around you and within you. Find it first within yourself, as JamesThomas has pointed out, and you will see it everywhere. Without truth you would not be, for you (the real you) is beingness itself.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Poppers - any particular reason why truth isn't in a book? What about a history book, a maths book, a fictional tale that illustrates a piece of wisdom..? I think the term truth means different things to people.

I think truth can be found pretty much anywhere if one is humble enough to be taught and wise enough to discern the unhelpful from the useful.

I have found great truth in many 'obscure books' and I have found great truth in times of stillness and meditation. I'm not yet secure enough in my worldview to start rejecting all areas as sources of truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit