Graduate students or ex-grad students on this board?

by silentWatcher 38 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have a Bachelor of Commerce. I went in the late 1980's when uni was being demonized by the WTS and had no end of comments from brothers and sisters about how wrong it was. They even reported me to the Circuit Overseer. I was regular pioneering at the same time so they could not complain too much.

The main problem I faced was that at the end I was not looking for full time but only part time work so I could continue pioneering. Even though I had almost all distinctions I could not get a job with any accounting professions as they were not prepared to take on people who were not willing to commit themselves full time to the company.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

Hi Gang:

I have a Ph.D. in Biochemistry and I teach a small liberal arts college in Wisconsin.

Jeff Schwehm

www.catholicxjw.com

• Kudra
    Kudra

Jeff,
    So what do biochemists think of Michael(first name right?) Behe?
    -K

• Ironhead
    Ironhead

I have a BSc (Hons) in media technology. Turned down a career with the BBC World Service when I became a jw. The biggest mistake of my life. I've never told my mother about this, she'll be very upset if she found out.

IRONHEAD

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

• Professional Diploma in Social Service
    • BA in Applied Social Science

Both are similar to Social Work, use the same taxtbookss and follow the Code of Ethics for Social Workers

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

MBA in Finance and Entrepreneurship
    Graduate certification in Management of Technology

• serendipity
    serendipity

I have a BS. I was going to get an MBA but I got pregnant. Seventeen years later, I'm just about done with that project, so I may consider pursuing an MBA in a few years.

• merfi
    merfi

5% of jw have a BS? (that is just pathetically incredible to think about. What a waste...)

I have a BS in Medical Technology and currently work in a hospital lab. I absolutely love it. I was in college '87-'91. Was this a time period where education was NOT frowned upon? Or was I ignoring subtle 'counsel'? I really can't remember. At any rate, I would have ignored it anyway after laughing (independent thinking starts early) that it's stupid to waste a brain...

I've thought about going on to getting something more, as I do love learning in general. In lab tech, after a few years, we can have a "specialty" in a particular department (micro, chem, hematology etc) but my lab isn't large enough to have the variety of tests and procedures to qualify me to meet the criteria. But I am happy as I am. :)

Having this evil "higher education" has saved me financially when the ex took off and is now not very on time with his support. I'm almost at the point where I don't NEED his loot because of a decent enough salary. No silly Awake University magazine is going to feed my kids...

~merfi

• jschwehm
    jschwehm
    So what do biochemists think of Michael(first name right?) Behe?

Well, Behe's whole irreducible complexity ideas are just wrong and it is fairly easy to demonstrate that they are wrong. A much better perspective that is more scientifically accurate in my opinion was written by Catholic Molecular Biologist Kenneth Miller a professor at Brown University. His book "Finding Darwin's God" is excellent and I highly recommend it. He and Michael Behe debate on a fairly regular basis too.

I hope that helps.

Jeff Schwehm

www.catholicxjw.com

• parakeet
    parakeet

M.A. in English lit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit