From one cult to another

by JH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Thanks for your resonse everyone. My sister and children and mom love me even though I never wanted to get interested in their religion.

Probably my first instict, when my mom said she would follow them, was that she would distance herself away from me, but it wont be so, just like my sister and chldren and brother in law were always very happy to see me and treated me like one of them. On the contrary, I avoided them throughout the years since they just came to visit when they were celebrating birthdays, new years, christmas, easter and so on. I didn't get to know my sister's kids too much as they grew because of what the JW's taught me, and I avoided being with them in these occasions.

I was well placed to compare the JW's with my sister's religion.

In her religion, they have genuine love for one another, and accept that they are sinners, and working to better themselves.

In the JW's, they have conditional love only, and don't tolerate imperfection.

• Brymichmom
    Brymichmom

You know, I've always thought that if my mother had joined a Baptist Church, instead of becoming a JW, our family would have been much better off. But instead she joined the JW's and it just fragmented and distanced us from the rest of the family. Then when my sister and I decided to leave the WT, we were already grown and married, eventually had children, but our children have never really gotten to know their grandparents because of the shunning policies of the WT. I just know that if my mother had chosen to become Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, etc....the family (Catholic) may have been somewhat surprised, but not angry and we still would have all gotten together for holidays, birthdays, etc...But with the JW's, it just separated us from everyone, and then our lives revolved around meetings and going to the KH.

I'm sure your mother is feeling lonely and hopefully, she is making new friends and can join in on other activities that she can enjoy since she is widowed. It certainly is a lot better than sinking into some kind of depression, she's getting on with her life in a healthy way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit