Do Kingdom Halls ever do the following?

by Hoping4Change 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

I am assuming that the Sunday and Tuesday services are open to the general public. Do the Kingdom Halls ever stop someone from coming to these services simply becuase it is known that they dont agree with what is being taught (i.e an 'unbeliever')? How about if a known 'unbeliever' joins a 'believing' spouse for all the meetings? Will the believing spouse be told to tell the unbeliever 'not' to come if they're 'not going to join'? I understand that it wouldnt happen at first or immediately, but would/could it happen over time? Of the unbeliever, assume that that one always goes properly dressed, is always polite, never questions anyone's faith or attempts to 'stumble' anyone in anyway, but simply sits, listens and follows along. Thanks

• Gopher
    Gopher

The meetings at the Kingdom Halls are always open to the public. Only when someone interferes with the meeting is there a chance they would be asked to leave.

The only restriction on attending JW congregational meetings is that disfellowshipped and disassociated former members may not attend book study meetings that are held in private homes.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Hi hoping4change, and welcome to JWD.

Actually, the only "public" meeting is the Sunday public talk.

There have been occasions when people have been removed, although this is usually because of disruption. Usually, if a member walks in, say during the service meeting, then they are greeted, and after working out what their objective is, invited to return to the Sunday meeting.

steve

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

They are 'public' meetings and no-one is supposed to be turned away as it would be a breach of their charitable terms. Given all the self-imposed conditions you stated you most certainly would not be turned away.

May I ask why you want to go to the Kingdom Hall? Is it simply to keep your spouse company or are you thinking of joining?

Nic'

• Honesty
    Honesty

They'll let anyone in who sits and listens.

In my old kingdumb hall, a sister's husband attended all the meetings with her for the last 40+ years. He never said a word, slept sometimes but didn't even snore at 75 years of age.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    Do the Kingdom Halls ever stop someone from coming to these services simply becuase it is known that they dont agree with what is being taught (i.e an 'unbeliever')?

No. My father used to attend the Sunday public talk for many years and still to this day he will go to the Memorial every year, but he makes it quite clear that he doesn't believe in any of the Witnesses doctrine and has no intention of ever receiving a bible study. This is 30+ years of him knowing the witnesses and I know of a few others that are like my dad.

• VM44
    VM44

This is very much related to the original question.

I know that if a person visits a Kingdom Hall so as to use the library, the elders will want to know for what purpose. If the elders do not like the answer given, they will not let the person use the library.

This seems to me that the elders know quite well that the older Watchtower literature contains things that they do not want people to read.

--VM44

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

I would go to join/support spouse and research. Also so that it can not be said that my knowledge of Jehovah's Witnesses only comes from 'apostate' material. If I ever want my spouse to listen to what I might have to say about things, the least I can do is listen/read what she is listening to (and reading) and be able to provide perspective, when possible. I would/could NEVER join; conscience and beliefs would never allow it. I have no spiritual hunger which their 'food' could possibly feed. Until they 1) honestly address all the issues that have been rightfully brought to bear against them, 2)change the disfellowshipping policy, 3) stop persectuing other religions, 4) stop the coersion used to prevent/curtail free/critical thought, 5) change the blood policy and 6) allow honest discussion and debate without fear of reprimand, they remain naught but an intellectual curiosity to me.(I'm sure there are a lot of other things in the list that just arent coming to mind at the moment)

• greendawn
    greendawn

Ex JWs like the ones that eventually wish to return to the org are usually asked to go and sit at the back of the KH but as long as they cause no disruption they are not expelled.

• blondie
    blondie

The public can attend the meetings at the KH; it would be unusual though for a non-JW to walk into a book study held in a private home unless they came with a JW or were directed there by a JW who attended there. As long as the person is quiet and is not disruptive, there is no reason from them to be asked to leave. Now if that person has been calling JWs or coming to their homes to convince them that the WTS is wrong, unasked, I can see why the witnesses might not let them come into the KH.

As far as using the library, the only time JWs have access to it is before and after the meetings, unless they know a JW with a key that will let them in and stay with them as they use it. It would be better to get a WT-CD and a computer.

The only people I have seen asked to leave were drunk and loud, talking loudly during the meeting, or threatening someone physically.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit