Computer problems: Jittering MP3s

by Nosferatu 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem.

I just got a "new" computer at work, and it's a hunk of shit. It's running WinXP Pro (The word "Pro" is questionable IMO). I listen to MP3 CDs at work, and I've never had a problem with WinNT or Win98. Now, I get WinXP, and the problems have started. First of all, the onboard sound "card" sounds like crap, but that's not my biggest problem.

My biggest problem is the MP3s jitter. The higher the bitrate, the more jittering. It jitters when the LED on the CD rom drive blinks. I updated my copy of WinAmp, and it improved a little, but not much. I tried setting everything in WinAmp to full buffer, but that doesn't help either.

I tried changing back to my original CD Rom drive (which I know worked fine) but the problem is still there.

Can anyone help me out here? It's really friggin' irritating.

• dmouse
    dmouse

Buy an Ipod.

Or...

Have you enabled digital CD audio for your CD-ROM?

In windows explorer right click on the drive and select properties, select hardware tab, select drive again, select properties, and again! and make sure the box is checked to enable digital cd audio.

Check you have the correct drivers for your sound hardware. If it is built in you may need to fit a sound card as onboard sound systems are usually naff.

There used to be a bus mastering setting on drives, called DMA, which usually had to be enabled but it seems to have disappeared on my system!

Also, are you reading off rewritable cds? Does it skip if you are reading off the hard disk? Just a thought, your CD drive may not like the brand of discs you are using. Mine absolutely refused to play re-writable discs even though they were supposed to be compatible. Also, I think some cd drives get so hot they inadvertantly 'format' writable discs!

CD drives are weird things, mine , for example, won't read after I've connected to the internet - I have to reboot to reset it everytime I've been on the net! Never have figured that one out.

Hope you get it sorted.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I've heard about some problems with MP3's skipping when playing in Winamp when other programs are running cos I had that prob with v5.
    If I remember correctly you go to Prefs - Plugins - Output - DirectSound - config, and in the device tab make sure the sound card is selected and enable hardware acceleration and enable cpu usage control are checked.

I'd also run a directx diagnostic; Start - Run - type dxdiag and enter. Test that direct sound is running ok and that DirectX is at least version 8.

Might be worth checking on the net for updated drivers for the soundcard but as you said it was a new system they shouldn't be that old (unless it's a refurb that companies like to tell employees are new to cut costs )

Hope this helps.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Have you enabled digital CD audio for your CD-ROM?

I've tried both settings.

Check you have the correct drivers for your sound hardware.

Done that. Everything seems okay.

Also, are you reading off rewritable cds? Does it skip if you are reading off the hard disk? Just a thought, your CD drive may not like the brand of discs you are using.

I never use rewritables, I only use CD-Rs. I'm using the same CD rom drive that I had on my old system, and I've never had a problem. Nothing else has changed. I still use the same brand of CD-Roms (Maxell), I still have the same burner at home, I still burn at the same speed, etc.

It doesn't jitter if it's reading off the hard drive. It only does it when reading directly from the CD.

• TTS
    TTS

does it jitter with all mp3 players?

• Scully
    Scully

I had a similar problem a while back. Reinstalling Windows XP fixed it after I tried everything else I could think of doing.

• daystar
    daystar

I had the same sort of problem until I increased RAM and my processor with a faster one.

Disable unnecessary items from running on startup with MSCONFIG. If you type MSCONFIG into your Start/Run line, you should get it.

If it works okay when you have very little running, I'd expect it to be a resource issue.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I think I'm right in saying that XP automatically assigns bus mastering and DMA on ATAPI devices. It was Win '98 that you had to tick the checkbox.

I don't know about CDroms being funny things, PC are funny things. I had a PC that only would only work if I had a certain configuration of components and peripherals. If I took out the backup hard drive it wouldn't boot, put in a soundcard or unplugged the printer, zip drive or scanner it wouldn't boot. It was like the damn thing had a memory and preferred the status quo! weird.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    If I remember correctly you go to Prefs - Plugins - Output - DirectSound - config, and in the device tab make sure the sound card is selected and enable hardware acceleration and enable cpu usage control are checked.

This seems to have made it a whole lot better! Thanx a bunch!

I can now happily work and listen to jitter-free music.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

To fix this here is what you need, Bible Medium size Crucifix Holy water A copy of the Roman Ritual silver Archangel Michael medal Turn on computer, sprinkle a little holy water on the tower, be careful not to get shocked, place the crucifix on the hard drive, begin reading the Roman Ritual prayers for exorcism, be sure to wear your Archangel Michael Medal, Repeat if needed until the MP3's play normal The power of christ compells you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit