How Many Disfellowshipped Are There In The US?

by Village Idiot 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kaik
    kaik
    In Czech Republic it is estimated that there is a much as JWs as DFs. In the 1990's 1/6 of males were DFs there through flip-flopping doctrine on alternative military service, which decimated their BOE.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Vidiot (I think it was vidiot..) had made a comment on another thread that it is possible that the WTS isn't really all that concerned with growth. I agree.

The disfellowshipping policy goes against the idea of growth - hell, if the WTS wanted to brag about growth and increasing numbers, all they would have had to do a long time ago was stop kicking so many out.

It makes a person wonder why so many 'bad people' would have been attracted to this religion in the first place.

• RunfromcrazyJW16
    RunfromcrazyJW16
    Do any of you know how long it will take DF person to get reinstated ? 1 year ? 2 years ? I heard the rumor recently but I don't know if it is true. WT society decided to make rule for any DF to get reinstated after 5 to 7 years?
  • Saename
    Saename

The last one... 5–7 years? Is it something you heard of? Seems extremely unrealistic to me.

• sir82
    sir82

No rules on how long.

But it has been a frequent topic in elder's training, that many elders are "too lenient" (should be DFing in more cases, instead of only reproof) and that elders are letting people return "too soon".

They have not published any hard numbers, but they imply that it should be at least a year. It is also implied that notorious cases (well publicized, or lots of "sin" involved) should take "many years" before reinstatement is allowed. They never define "many" as anything other than "more than 2".

• steve2
    steve2

Just a side point here that has some bearing on the OP:

I have never heard of apostates being reinstated, whereas those disfellowshipped for other reasons ("sins of the flesh") are perhaps more likely to seek reinstatement because they may have "broken" Scriptural sanctions but have not necessarily repudiated the "authority" of the organization.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My aunt was reinstated so many times that I kinda lost track after 3. She is nearly 60 and has been in and out like a jack in the box. Probably had something to do with coming of age in the 70's, being raised by halfhearted "studies" and my mom who was kind of a slacker in her younger years, for all that she believed the schlock.

THe last time reinstating didn't take her too long and she soon became an exceedingly annoying pioneer(she is kind hearted, but really dippy about "the truth" while she puts on this know it all stepford wife voice that make you want to shock some sense into her. She brought in her (3d or 4th) husband and he has just been appointed an elder after maybe 5 years "in the truth". She is closer in age to me than she is to my mom but man, they were bamboozled thoroughly, Must be our overlapping generations.

• smiddy
    smiddy

In the 1960`s -70`s the WT was reporting that 40,000 a year were being DF , mainly for immorality

smiddy

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

JWdaughter is on to something. Every Kingdom Hall seemed to have a few people who would be in, then out, then in again - only to fall out again later - only to return again at some point.

I have a somewhat distant family member who must have been DF'd at least 4 times, then back in for awhile, but then either just disassociated or was DFd again. I was, I think, maybe the only family member that never really gave up on him.

Now nearly 50, the fellow seems to have been reinstated, remarried to a JW woman, and is (as rumors have it) now an elder in his new congregation. I don't know because he won't communicate with me since I am well-known to be an apostate by the other members of my family.

I think there may be many JWs who were born-ins or were never really very active as teenagers, who have fallen out and back in through several rotations. When I finally made up my mind to allow myself to be DF'd, I did it with the idea that I would never go back, but at the same time I would mostly ignore the whole process. As a result I allowed myself to continue to stay in contact with my relatives whenever I could. If they responded to my friendship - then fine. If they didn't - that was fine with me just as well. If they did not consider me worth their love and an occasional visit, then screw 'em.

But I've spoken to several ex-JWs who told me that in their Kingdom Halls there seemed to be a constant rotation of a small number who would always be flippers - in and out - on reproof and off again - and then back on again.

I'm sure that others on this forum have experienced the same phenomena.

JV

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

HeyGiordano

Starting in the service year 1960-1961 the peak publishers were 965,169 and there were what the Society called 'Leavers' which totaled 14,233.

My guess is that these were people who were DFed or faded etc.

In 1975-76 the increase was 69,134 the Leavers totaled 137, 249..

Where are those figures from? Are they printed in the publications? (Yearbook?)

TIA

That's all folks!

DarK SpilveR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit