My District Convention Last Weekend

by rassillon 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

College Station was a lot better. You were lucky, I got there just before 9:00 the first day and I had to walk 15, 20 minutes through the damn weeds and got to enjoy the fertilizer being spread on the practice field as I walked by. The Parking poeple were grossly incompetent, the Attendents were a complete joke. All in all it was about the worst managed DC I've ever attended.

I understand the problem in College Station was they couldn't come to terms with the hotels. The University was fine and had a great relationship going with the Witnesses.

Couple of observations. I've never seen so many people talking on or otherwise messing with their cell phones during the sessions, and I've never seen so many people not applauding or doing a very desultory job of it.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I'm all too familiar with the crazy stampede to the seats when the doors open. There are multiple entrances to Copps Coliseum in Hamilton Ontario, but the "powers that be" have always decided to only open the doors on Bay Street first. So last year, one toddler was knocked out of its mother's arms by morons dashing and shoving up the stairs. If it weren't for the quick save of the young guy to the side (and behind) of her, the child would have been trampled on. This year they were opening the doors at 3 different locations. They only make changes when they fear they'll be liable.

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy
    In College Station Texas, yep....the town is called college station.

College Station is famous! Home of the 12th man! Texas A & M Aggies...great college town.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

I know how the OP feels. I was just at that venue with my wife a couple of weeks ago and let me tell you all, that place was a dump only suited for small high school events of no more than a few thousand people. How the Soceity got away with squeezing 6000 people in that place without the fire marshall closing it down, I'll never know. Sardines in a sardine can have more room than what was avaliable in that place. Parking was atrocious, parking attendants inept, and the seats were so narrow you felt like you were sitting in a straw. Even the JW guy sitting next to me was complaining. I only attended one day with my wife to give her a little company but, if it's there again, I'll definetely be skipping it altogether.

• rassillon
    rassillon

WOTS, Hey, what are you doing here?

I thought you were a kingite ;) LOL JK

I am warrior from the paradise cafe, I don't go there anymore cause almost everyone there are uber-weird.

Are you following me? ;)

Good to have you here.

-r

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101
    it took me 3-4 SOLID minutes of walking at a brisk pace to reach the doors from my car

Try doing the outer car parks at Twickenham, anyone else here remember the trek???

CS 101

• warmthofthesun
    warmthofthesun

Hi "warrior". I still post there because there are many people I enjoy speaking with. It has little to do with believing everything Robert King or anyone else teaches. I occasionally look over here, but this place is rather bizzare itself. Plus I still like spiritual discussions, and for now it seems I can still have them over there.

wots

• blondie
    blondie
    They only make changes when they fear they'll be liable.

Aint that the truth; that is why elders were told 3 times to CALL LEGAL, CALL LEGAL, CALL LEGAL, when an abuse case pops up....not the Service Desk.

Blondie

• divejunkie
    divejunkie

I don't know what genius thought the Merrell Center was good for a convention.

This is an arena prepared mostly for HS graduations, dances, HS plays, and limited sport events (HS level). For that purpose is nice. I've been there for trainings (I'm a teacher with the school district that owns it), and even for that is so bad people leave, stand in the hallways or perform hara-kiri right there.:)

My last DC was in Denver CO, in the old Mile High Stadium the year before they started using the new Pepsi Center. I had a baby and I wasn't allowed to seat in the shaded "reserved for the elderly" - but mostly empty area. The sun was burning and I got sunburned in the two hours I stayed before I said "screw this" and left. That was the first day of the assembly. Never been to another again.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Try doing the outer car parks at Twickenham, anyone else here remember the trek???

Indeed i do - and IMO the best part of the assembly!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit