JW's going door to door in poor neighborhoods

by Wordly Andre 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR
    Of course the witnesses prey on the weak and poor, the "humble" as one poster already noted. Any cult with any sense would do this.

Scientology?

• daystar
    daystar

Affluent people are generally less likely to be searching for a solution to their problems. If they're educated and wealthy, they got there by resolving their problems on their own, and/or with a strong faith of their own.

And, of course, the more secularly educated a person is, and stable generally, the less likely they are to fall prey to JW irrationalism and cult mind-think.

And, the less affluent are more likely to fall into the "meek" category as well.

(All very general and yes, I know there are always exceptions.)

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

No, I don't think that economic or educational status has anything to do with it. I think it has to dissatisfaction. Where I grew up there was a group of about 12 "hippies" that became JW's. They were all educated (post-secondary) and from upper middle class backgrounds. However, they were all part of the counter-culture of the sixties. Most were from San Francisco, and moved to Taos to be part of the the various communes there. Granted this is very anecdotal but based on this, and many of the stories I have read here and at other sites, the element of dissatisfaction within the life of a pre-conversion J-Dub appears to be pretty high.

• undercover
    undercover

I don't know if they're consciencely targeting poorer neighborhoods (unless it's changed in the last few years).

From the perspective of the congregations in my area, the congregations in the poorer parts of town had more JWs spend time in field service on weekends.. In turn, those JWs went in their territory, which was the poorer neighberhoods.

The more well-to-do JWs weren't as consistent for weekend service. They were out having fun. Out on the lake, gone to the beach, gone to an amusement park. They could afford to seek recreation more. But, the well to do congregations had a better turnout for mid-week service, however, because a lot of the wives didn't have to work so they ended up going in service together. The poorer JWs had to work and rarely came out during the week for service.

• blondie
    blondie

I can only speak for the JWs I knew...some asked specifically for "poorer" territories saying that people were more "humble" and "listened." Then I knew JWs that would never go into those areas considering them crime-ridden. Obviously, people with education and money become JWs but usually are "contacted" in a different way, usually "informally." I know of ten "wealthy" JWs that all were contacted through JW workmates/employees not door to door.

Blondie

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Aren't the poo-er more 'teachable' ?

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Watchtower's outreach campaign to recruit pedophiles from the prisons.http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2001/5/8a/article_04.htm Charlie Manson (without the look) coming to a Kingdom Hall near you.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They do have a policy of targetting the poor more than the more wealthy because they will be more in need of hope for a better life, but of course the promises for the future are false and in the present they have nothing to offer by way of a loving brotherhood.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

More people are going to be home in low income neighborhoods, elderly, disabled, people on various kinds of assistance, students etc.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

The offer of one's own a vine and fig tree appeals to the poor, the rich already own the vineyard and orchard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit