JW's going door to door in poor neighborhoods

by Wordly Andre 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I'm not sure if its just me, but I've noticed that every time I drive through the "ghetto part of my city" ok maybe ghetto is a poor choice of words but poor neighborhood, I always see JW's out in the streets. I live in the same city only in the better part and I hardly ever see JW's on my street? Not that I am complaining about it but, I was thinking do they target lower income families, or in their eyes uneducated people for their ministry? Maybe they figure that these people are more willing accept that one day this world is going to end and that they will be living in paradise? If any of you have insight on this please share.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Of course they target uneducated and poor people. The Elders say that those are more "humble" and easier to impress.

My congo is in the process of witnessing big time at the local state prison. There were as many "atendees" at the memorial in prison as there were at the hall.

It's pretty funny to look at the congo directory and see all those with XXXX correctional facility as their mailing address. Now that's a REALLY good plan.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

My congo is in the process of witnessing big time at the local state prison. There were as many "atendees" at the memorial in prison as there were at the hall.

It's pretty funny to look at the congo directory and see all those with XXXX correctional facility as their mailing address. Now that's a REALLY good plan.
    --MinisterAmos
    Hey, maybe they'll convert a handful of "reformed" peddies and hit the jackpot!
    But seriously folks, the same thing is said about my territory. It isn't "ghetto," but it's lower income/renters for the most part. "Oh, you guys have such great territory!" is what we usually get from people who live in more affluent territories.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

When I was pioneering I would have much rather preach in a poor neighborhood than any other. This was because I knew people were more religious on average in those areas, as they were mostly under-educated citizens. This made it easier on my part, since at least people respected my preaching work and didn't hold me in derision. So I guess I did it for selfish reasons. Besides, no one is ever home in middle to upper-class neighborhoods.

• sspo
    sspo

Co visit, every visit he would never preach in the white rich district but always in the poorest territories since he always felt he could start a few bible study.

Less educated,more religious,looking for better conditions.

• karen96
    karen96

My ex and I were sent to where the "need was great" in a small inner city near our home, and the FS attendance was always good. i think people liked hearing about equality, better living conditions, better health, etc. When we were in my old cong (a more affluent area) people would say "I already have paradise here".

• blondie
    blondie

I was in congregations where certain rank and file did not like going in the "bad" neighborhoods because all the crime was there (translation: they were white and the people in these neighborhoods were not).

I agree that people in the poorer neighborhoods were more likely to listen and take literature. The goal of the WTS message is to target people with problems and no means to solve them. So other rank and file preferred these neighborhoods.

I just didn't work any territory after dark........

Blondie

• parakeet
    parakeet

***Besides, no one is ever home in middle to upper-class neighborhoods.***
    That was my favorite kind of neighborhood, not because it was upper class, but because no one was home!
    When I was a JW, I don't remember any neighborhoods getting more attention than others, but that was nearly 30 years ago. I guess things have changed since then.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass
    I agree that people in the poorer neighborhoods were more likely to listen and take literature. The goal of the WTS message is to target people with problems and no means to solve them.

If the goal is to target people with problems, they need to go to the insane asylums, captive audience. Oh no wait, the psych wards are mainly filled with JWs, so that will not work. Next idea.

• Grace
    Grace

My husband (who originally comes from Crown Heights, Brooklyn), says that witnessing in the rich neighborhoods is difficult because folks already have their paradise.

Of course the witnesses prey on the weak and poor, the "humble" as one poster already noted. Any cult with any sense would do this.

Grace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit