What did the Watchtower Soceity REALLY say about 1975?

by Elsewhere 60 Replies latest jw friends

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

The "news" reports from the Awake issues in the 1970 bound volume are a cacophany of "the world cannot last till the end of the decade".

Farking dooms day cultists when all is said and done.

• heathen
    heathen

Oops sorry my bad . Yah I forgot it was the bce to AD thingy there . LOL but do they remember that the seventh day was also a thousand years long ? so what you really have is 4026 plus 1000 brings to 3026 then I guess you can add 6000 years . Or am I batting a thousand with blunders here ?

• JT
    JT

*** w80 3/15 pp. 17-18 Choosing the

5 In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book Life Everlasting—in Freedom of the Sons of God, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man’s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

6 In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: “If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.” In saying “anyone,” The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.

• AlanF
    AlanF

A fairly comprehensive compilation of the Watchtower Society's statements about 1975 can be found here:

http://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/part-3-statements-concerning-1918-1925.html#a1975

The following link contains quotations from pre-1975 Kingdom Ministries, which are quite a bit more adamant about the date than regular WTS publications:

http://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/1975-new-info.html

AlanF

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Some of us were desperately ill and counting on the Watchtower's 1975 PROMISE

"Staying Alive Until 1975" My Story of Growing Up JW with Severe Ulcerative Colitis

• anewme
    anewme

To add: "It is not good for the man to continue by himself" I remember the society using this scripture to understand that the period of time between Adams creation and Eves was enough to be harmful to the man if he continued alone.

So how long was it????

And Kid-A, I thought the point of all this scholerliness and finding these quotes was to show WHY THE PEOPLE WERE FOOLED!
    Both in their liturature and in undocumented discussions from the platform and in private homes the brethren were tricked into thinking the Big A was imminent.

Why they stayed in the 90s during the tech boom is a good question though.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    To add: "It is not good for the man to continue by himself" I remember the society using this scripture to understand that the period of time between Adams creation and Eves was enough to be harmful to the man if he continued alone.

So how long was it????

This rhetorical "Adams addendum" was BIG and how they strung us along for 4 more years until the 1980 purges

It went something like this,rhetorical question "how long did it take Adam to name the animals"? Eve must have sinned immediately upon creation as Adam and her did not copulate otherwise they would have produced a 'perfect child' like Jesus. Soooo, there was a time frame between 4026 BC and "Adam being single naming the animals" which could add some time to post 1975

Hey! I was crippled with unrelenting ulcerative colitis and i had elders 'comfort' me with this "Adam's addendum" to hang in there.NOW the bastards say that 1975 was all an apostate elaboration.

• the dreamer dreaming
    the dreamer dreaming

the world DID end in 1975, but only those of FAITH saw it happen

• Swan
    Swan

Page 23

True, there have been those in times past who predicted an "end to the world," even announcing a specific date. Some have gathered groups of people with them and fled to the hills or withdrawn into their houses waiting for the end. Yet, nothing happened. The "end" did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing?
    Missing was the full measure of evidence required in fulfillment of Bible prophecy. Missing from such people were God's truths and evidence that he was guiding and using them.

Are they referring to Russell and Rutherford here?

Tammy

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    the world DID end in 1975, but only those of FAITH saw it happen

ROFTL!!!!!

Now I know what really happened! :)

"One day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day" (2 Peter 3:8; NW).

That's right, the millenium occurred on October 1, 1975. Missed it? We're now living in the "testing" period when Satan is trying to mislead everyone.....strikingly very similar to the situation before October 1, 1975.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit