What did the Watchtower Soceity REALLY say about 1975?

by Elsewhere 60 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie
    calculated a date of 2008/2009

Maybe that is why the WTS is cracking the whip.

• damselfly
    damselfly

<<one has calculated a date of 2008/2009,>>

So I'm getting Armageddon for my B'day next year? 8O

Dams

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    So I'm getting Armageddon for my B'day next year? 8O

Only the best for you babe!

• damselfly
    damselfly

I don't think it's *me*, I'd like to excahange it for something sparkly. ;P

Dams

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

1) CREATION OF ADAM AND EVE TOOK PLACE IN THE SAME YEAR

*** w68 5/1 p. 271 Making Wise Use of the Remaining Time ***

Since it was also Jehovah’s purpose for man to multiply and fill the earth, it is logical that he would create Eve soon after Adam, perhaps just a few weeks or months later in the same year, 4026 B.C.E. After her creation, God’s rest day, the seventh period, immediately followed. Therefore, God’s seventh day and the time man has been on earth apparently run parallel. To calculate where man is in the stream of time relative to God’s seventh day of 7,000 years, we need to determine how long a time has elapsed from the year of Adam and Eve’s creation in 4026 B.C.E.

*** w68 8/15 p. 500 Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975? ***

After his creation Adam lived some time during the "sixth day," which unknown amount of time would need to be subtracted from Adam’s 930 years, to determine when the sixth seven-thousand-year period or "day" ended, and how long Adam lived into the "seventh day." And yet the end of that sixth creative "day" could end within the same Gregorian calendar year of Adam’s creation. It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years ...This time between Adam’s creation and the beginning of the seventh day, the day of rest, let it be noted, need not have been a long time. It could have been a rather short one. The naming of the animals by Adam, and his discovery that there was no complement for himself, required no great length of time. The animals were in subjection to Adam; they were peaceful; they came under God’s leading; they were not needing to be chased down and caught. It took Noah only seven days to get the same kinds of animals, male and female, into the Ark. (Gen. 7:1-4) Eve’s creation was quickly accomplished, ‘while Adam was sleeping.’ (Gen. 2:21) So the lapse of time between Adam’s creation and the end of the sixth creative day, though unknown, was a comparatively short period of time.

*** g68 10/8 p. 14 What Will the 1970s Bring? ***

How fitting it would be for God, following this pattern, to end man's misery after six thousand years of human rule and follow it with His glorious Kingdom rule for a thousand years! This Kingdom Christians hae prayed for during many centuries.—Matt. 6:10.

How can it be determined when 6,000 years of human history will end? Accordng to reliable Bible chronology, Adam and Eve were created in 4026 B.C.E.

*** ad [1971] p. 538 Eve ***At the birth of her first son Cain, outside paradise, Eve exclaimed : "I have acquired a man with the aid of Jehovah" (Gen. 4:1). Interestingly, Eve is the first one reported using God's name, indicating that the name Jehovah was known to the very first humans. Later she gave birth to Abel as well at to other sons and daughters . At the age of 130 another son was born to her . Eve called his name Seth.

2) WE SIMPLY DO NOT KNOW HOW MUCH TIME ELAPSED

*** w75 10/1 p. 579 The End of 6,000 Years of Man-Rule Approaches—What Has Been Accomplished? ***

Does this mean, then, that mankind has now reached 6,000 years into the 7,000-year period that God ‘blessed and made sacred’ as his great "rest day"? Does it mean that Christ’s millennial Kingdom rule, as the final 1,000 years of that "rest day," is to be reckoned from September 1975?—Gen. 1:27, 31; 2:2, 3; Rev. 20:1-6.

No, it does not mean that. Why not? Well, the Bible record shows that God’s creations on the "day" just preceding that 7,000-year "rest day" did not end with Adam’s creation. It shows a time lapse between the creation of Adam and that of his wife, Eve. During that time, God had Adam name the animals. Whether that period amounted to weeks or months or years, we do not know. So we do not know exactly when Jehovah’s great "rest day" began, nor do we know exactly when it will end. The same applies to the beginning of Christ’s millennial reign. The Bible provides us no way to fix the date, and so it does us no good to speculate when that date may be.

*** w76 1/1 p. 30 Do You Remember? ***

Although the time of Adam’s creation can be determined, the beginning of God’s "rest day" cannot. This is so because there was a time lapse of unspecified length between Adam’s creation and the creation of Eve. Not until after the creation of Eve did God’s "rest day" begin. The start of that day being unknown, its end is likewise unknown.

*** w76 7/15 p. 436 Keeping a Balanced View of Time ***

For one thing, even though Bible chronology clearly indicates that we have reached the mark of six thousand years since the time of the creation of the first human, Adam, it does not tell us just how long after that event the sixth creative day came to its close and the seventh creative period or "day," God’s great rest day, began...

How much time elapsed between the creation of the man and that of the woman? The Bible does not reveal this. It could have been a relatively short time. Adam was created—not as a child or an adolescent—but as a full-grown, fully mature man, both physically and mentally. He did not have to crawl first to learn to walk, nor babble sounds until able to speak.... When he walked he took his very first step; and so too with the experience of running, climbing, touching, smelling, tasting, eating—all were brand-new experiences for him. What enormous curiosity he must have felt as he examined the fascinating handiwork of Jehovah God and became acquainted with his garden home! How long would he be allowed time to satisfy that curiosity before taking on added responsibility as a family head?... The brevity of the Genesis account surely does not require our thinking that God simply gathered all the animals and birds into a big group and then had them file past Adam while he quickly called off names for them, one by one. True, he may have had to deal only with basic family kinds rather than all the varieties of creatures that have developed out of those family kinds. But even so, we cannot rule out the possibility that God’s "bringing" these creatures to Adam may have involved their moving in sufficiently close to allow Adam to study them for a time, observing their distinctive habits and makeup, and then select a name that would be especially fitting for each. This could mean the passing of a considerable amount of time....

What, then, does this mean? Simply this: That these factors, and the possibilities for which they allow, prevent us from saying with any positiveness how much time elapsed between Adam’s creation and that of the first woman. We do not know whether it was a brief time such as a month or a few months, a year or even more. But whatever time elapsed would have to be added to the time that has passed since Adam’s creation in order for us to know how far along we are within God’s seventh "day," his grand day of rest. So our having advanced six thousand years from the start of human existence is one thing. Advancing six thousand years into God’s seventh creative "day" is quite another. And we do not know just how far along in the stream of time we are in this regard.

*** it-1 p. 772 Eve ***

At the birth of her first son Cain, outside Paradise, Eve exclaimed: "I have produced a man with the aid of Jehovah." (Ge 4:1) Eve is the first one reported to have used God’s name, indicating that the name Jehovah was known to the very first humans. Later she gave birth to Abel as well as to other sons and daughters. When Adam was 130 years old, Eve gave birth to a son whom she called Seth.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Thank you, Leolaia for those quotes! The difference between the Aid and Insight volumes on the timing of Seth's birth was something I'd never caught before.

So, we're 31 years since 1975. If Adam was alone in the garden for over 30 years (you know, naming all the earth's animals was no easy task), then that would explain why he said when Eve showed up: "This is at last bone of my bones..."

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

archived

• heathen
    heathen

What I love is the full denial and disclaimer they try to put out after nothing happened , like there were people in the congs trying to stir up a commotion , it had nothing to do with the WTBTS . Just how can these people keep a straight face and convince millions of others of this type of dellusion ? It defies logic . That is all speculation on when Eve was created . I am trying to calculate myself . 4026 plus 6000 equal 2026 so if Eve was created the same day or year then we are talking about the year 2026 , are we not ? Just where the hell do they come up with 1975 ? Why does this whole thing have to add up to God waiting 6000 years before he does anything?

• sir82
    sir82

Heathen,

Correcting your math:

1975 AD --> 1 AD = 1974 years

1 AD --> 1 BC = 1 year

1 BC --> 4026 BC = 4025 years

1974 + 1 + 4025 = 6000 years.

The rest of your post, I agree with.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

sir82....That's just wild!! A very fascinating letter to read...

4026 plus 6000 equal 2026 so if Eve was created the same day or year then we are talking about the year 2026 , are we not ? Just where the hell do they come up with 1975?

heathen...No, 4026 + 6000 = 10,026. You have to subtract, not add. So 4026 - 6000 = -1974. Note the minus sign because we are on the other side of the B.C./A.D. divide. But since there is no Year Zero, we have to add a year to the A.D. side, hence 1975.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit