Who would you invite to your Fantasy Dinner Table?

by nicolaou 36 Replies latest social entertainment

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Have had a few glasses of wine and am thinking about this question. I've got a lot of people I'd like to meet and talk with, so here goes.

1. My father. He died in 1954, before I even turned 2. In talking with my older sisters, I realize how different my life would have been if he'd not had a heart attack at age 34. For starters, I would probably never have become a Witness. Hence, I would also have never met my wife, had three great kids and, so far, seven really great grandkids. Great things for me. Yet, I never had a conversation with him. How sad is that?

2. Mohandis Ghandi. Just an amazing figure in history. Where did a man of this caliber ever come from??

3. Jesus. If he showed up at all it would at least prove to me that he existed. From there it would all be downhill!

4. Carl Sagan. What a great mind, and he'd probably have some pot for those folks at the meal who would like that.

5. Edward Abbey. What a magnificent, opinionated writer. He'd make the evening interesting, and would probably have a lot to say to Jesus.

6. Leonardo Da Vinci. There are so many questions for this man, starting with, What did you think of the novel and movie??

7. An Incan woman who had lived at Macchu Picchu in Peru. If you've ever been there or read about it, you would soooo want to know why it was built and what it meant.

8. An Abnaki, Apache or Sioux, from before the time that Europeans first came to North America.

9. Moses. See Jesus above.

10. There are at least 100 other names I want to list here, including a bunch that have already been listed above(Neil Gaimon, Robert Antwon Wilson, John Lennon, Cleopatra,Galileo, Bill Maher, etc). This dinner party is far too small!!

S4

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    John Krakauer (why? Best writer I've ever read

No offense, but you need to read more.

• blondie
    blondie

This reminds me of a show put on by Steve Allen on PBS.

Guests on Meeting of Minds

Season One:

Shows 1 and 2:
    Theodore RooseveltJoseph Early
    Queen CleopatraJayne Meadows
    Father Thomas AquinasPeter Bromilow
    Thomas PaineJoe Sirola
    Shows 3 and 4:
    Ulysses S. GrantJoseph Early
    Queen Marie AntoinetteJayne Meadows
    Sir Thomas MoreBernard Behrens
    Dr. Karl MarxLeon Askin
    Shows 5 and 6:
    Charles DarwinMurray Matheson
    Emily DickinsonKatherine Helmond
    Galileo GalileiAlexander Scourby
    Attila the HunKhigh Dhiegh

http://www.steveallen.com/television_pioneer/meetingofmindsguests.htm

Emily Dickinson

Charles Darwin

Voltaire

Martin Luther

Isaac Newton

Queen Elizabeth I

Golda Meir

Blondie

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Yes. I thought of this show as well. Steve Allen might be a great guy to have at this table. A truly remarkable mind. TV, music, literature, a beautiful and intelligent wife - he did it all.

S4

• Axelspeed
    Axelspeed

I have actually been thinking up my list for the last 2 days, and shuffling and reshuffling. I'm still not sure of a few so I'd consider it more of a work in progress...

Augustus Caesar
    Quincy Jones
    Bill Clinton
    Jesus Christ (assuming real)
    My Mom
    Benjamin Franklin
    Ellen Degeneres
    Warren Buffett
    Albert Einstein
    T.S. Eliot
    Cleopatra
    Emily Dickinson

btw. a great Dickinson poem -

The Bible is an antique volume –
    Written by faded Men
    At the suggestion of Holy spectres –
    Subjects – Bethlehem –
    Eden – the ancient Homestead –
    Satan – the Brigadier –
    Judas – the Great Defaulter –
    David – the Troubadour –
    Sin – a distinguished Precipice
    Others must resist –
    Boys that "believe" are very lonesome –
    Other Boys are "lost" –
    Had but the Tale a warbling Teller –
    All the boys would come –
    Orpheus’ Sermon captivated –
    It did not condemn –

Axel (yeah I bumped it to twelve)

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Ten ancestors;

grandparents, great grandparents, great great etc etc...

Would like to hear about the cool green hills of Scotland, they could tell me how the sweet heather's fragrance and the fog rolled in. Why they left and migrated to America.

I long to hear stories of their families. Who had the celtic curse genetic disease I suffer from. What a joy that dinner would be, I'd never want it to end.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I would love (thanks to a Tardis) to sit Idi Amin and Adolf Hitler down for a nice cordial dinner between dictators. Maybe add Hannibal Lector to the party.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit