Outsourced Call Center Frustration

by Bstndance 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Balsam
    Balsam

A neighbor lady who is a JW lost her job to Wachovia Bank outsourcing all the services to India. She was really pissed. LOL

We quit buying Compac computers because of their outsourcing to India all the tech support. It was just irritating.

• foundfreedom
    foundfreedom

I dont like it when I have to talk to them because I can never understand them I always end up with a headache!

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I try to avoid phoning call centres but I do tend to get a lot of cold calls from Indian call centres flogging me mobiles, loans, credit cards etc.

Reminded me of this article.

http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=3699

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

I wish I hadn't seen this thread. Right with you there Sad Emo. I spent TWO HOURS yesterday on the aol premium phone ''expert help-line'' (now THERE'S an oxymoron if ever there was one). I spoke to 6 or 7 different ''technical experts'' - transferred to ''level 2'' technicians FOUR times. Told several times I have no/faulty IP address and would never be able to connect. Told I can only use dial up. Told the opposite. Told I need my PC TOTALLY reformatted. Windows reinstalled as part of it missing.Told my phone line is faulty (isn't)...etc, etc.. TWO HOURS...

When aol email me to ask what I think of their ''support'' I will inform them that my 13 year old son managed to do in 5 minutes what the sum of their EXPERTS couldn't accomplish in 2 hours. Would they like to employ him? Doubt it - English is his first language and he's overqualified.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Oh yes - I had all that too!! - They even told me that I was definitely activated for broadband but when I phoned BT they said no I wasn't!!

The most annoying thing - I informed aol that BT had told me this and there was NO apology even for that blatant lie! I'm going to switch to BT in October - simply because their engineers are in charge of all the broadband supply anyway, at least it cuts out the middle man.

Handy hint for irate aol UK customers - threaten to cancel the contract and they'll put you through to the UK call centre!!

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

The ONLY reason I stayed with aol when I upgraded to Broadband was to keep my email address. I actually TOLD them my IP address yesterday, and where I found it. They said they didn't look for it there .....so after 10 minutes and another 5 quid no doubt, they obtained it from somewhere else on my PC, and guess what? It was the same as where I obtained it in 5 seconds. And they said it wasn't a real address and wouldn't recognise Broadband......well guess what again......? Here I am connected.......Broadband with an IP address that doesn't exist.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I find it completely infuriating! I have changed by bank account from the one I had been with for 8 years to another one using people in the same country as me. The people in India had no authority or ability to answer any of my queries or do anything and just had to ring Uk to resolve any issues - what a waste of time!

I have had the same problem with my BT internet technical support as well and will change provider to a locally based one when this contract runs out.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

If I suspect a language issue is the root of my trouble in these instances, I tell them a joke that is a play on words and if they don't get it, I ask for a supervisor and then another until someone either gets it or I recognize good english on the other end of the phone. It really bothers me that employers do this. I understand that poor customer service and a lot of complaints are why some companies are re-thinking this model.

J

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, I had a lousy call-centre experience with VISA. It was obvious English was a second language for my call-centre representative. I was upset, rushed, late to a weekend event, and she kept asking me to spell each word more and more slowly. Including my common name. She also gave me wrong information on how to get a new VISA mailed to me. Two weeks later I called my local VISA representative, and after she had a talk with her supervisor I got an apology and a swift response.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I know of at least three large call-centres here in Alberta that cater to the American market. I was told our accent is faintly midwestern with an uplilt at the end of our sentences, eh? Makes us sound friendly. Technically, we're out-of-country call centres, too.

• jgnat
    jgnat

That's a really SMART idea, jeanniebeanz. On another note, several of my employees struggle with their English. Even worse, they often won't admit it, for fear of their jobs. I've tried classes, that sort of thing, but like you say, that doesn't necessarily give them native comfort with the language so they'll "get the joke".

It's a fine line between helping an employee with a problem like that, and targetting them for help. It must be mighty embarrassing. The only WORSE thing, I think, is telling an employee they have BO. The best idea I've come up with so far is something like a voluntary self-help group, brown bagger session. Something like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit