Dell Laptop and Direct TV receiver died same week

by garybuss 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• garybuss
    garybuss

My Dell Inspiron 8500 that I bought new in June 2003 had 4 motherboards and one memory card replaced under warranty. Warranty expired in June, last month, and yup! Motherboard failed again, Monday July 10.

The last time it failed I told the Dell customer service rep that there MUST be something wrong with the computer. It's running way too hot. I asked them to exchange it for a replacement, or have it repaired. They said let's fix it again and if it fails again, then they'd replace it.

After it failed, I called them and asked them about replacing it, and they said there's no notes in the file about replacing it . . . and your warranty has expired. Hahahahahahaha!!! They got me. It's gonna cost more than a new one to fix it. This sucker cost over two grand.

Then Friday the electric power went out with a pop and when it came back on my Sony Direct TV receiver didn't power on. I had it plugged into a surge protector along with everything else but that didn't help.

I went out and picked up the Best Buy special. It's RCA and I hate it. Hahahaha!!!

So far July has not been my month.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

sounds like the black cloud that was hanging over me moved over to you!!!!

• garybuss
    garybuss

I shudder to think what's next.

• LDH
    LDH

Does it help to know that less than an hour ago, our Air Conditioning went out?

You might remember I live in Fresno, well over 100 today.

We're already at 80 and the two hottest hours left to go.

Earliest anyone will come out is tomorrow. Maybe. LOL.

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Gary. Something good will happen to you soon, it always does.

Personally, I try not to let material things get me too down, they can always be replaced. After dealing with the mountain load of emotional turmoil from the bOrg, everything else is a piece of cake. (ex:My car radio was stolen last month, minor inconvience but really didn't bother me)

• FMZ
    FMZ

Gary, you might be able to contact the manufacturer of the surge protector. Those things often provide "insurance" for any connected devices. i.e., if something is plugged into it and is still damaged by a surge, they will pay for the device.

Just a thought.

KJ

• garybuss
    garybuss

My air is working so far. It's 100 here in Dakota today too. I hope ya got a fan.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Yer right Carpenter! I'll try to remember that when my toys break.

Good idea FMZ! I'll check into that. Thanks!

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

It's the DEMONZ dude !!!!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

At times such as these it is good to rejoice that we aren't living in Noah's day. He had to get by without a laptop - and his desktop display only did hercules monochrome graphics! PLUS - - - there was no HBO, only local network programming.

Surge protectors work much like a fuse, except that they can die doing their job and never let you know. The purpose of the surge protector is to pass high voltage surges to ground, and many times in doing so the protecting components will fail, leaving you with a box that looks like a surge protector but works like an extension cord. Replace your surge protector periodically, especially if it has been in place for a few years.

- the preceeding message was brought to you by the Surge Protector's Manufacturing Association, which reminds you that only you can keep the manufacturers of surge protectors from falling into poverty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit