Anyone here trying Byetta? New Diabetic Medicine from GIla monster spit.

by Wasanelder Once 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I'm going to ask my doctor for Byetta on monday. My sugar has been running in the high 300's and I fear I am crashing. The oral meds don't do it anymore and I need to lose weight. This new med is taken by injection and is costly, about 200.00 U.S. for a months worth. My medical wont cover it and I'm currently unemployed but I have some money saved. I feel this is a last shot before insulin. I hope this doctor agrees. I'll know monday. My heart has been beating wierd and nothing heals properly and the neuralgia is intense in my toes and feet. Its excruciating. No matter how well I seem to eat I can't get the numbers down.

Anyone else trying Byetta? It causes nausea for quite a while. The main side effect is weight loss. One fellow lost 22 pounds in 45 days. I'm up for that.

I'll let you know how it works for me, if I in fact get perscribed for it.

W.Once

• LDH
    LDH

was, why won't your medical cover it?

• LDH
    LDH

http://www.byetta.com/patient/byetta_faq_150.jsp?reqNavId=5.1#isPatAssist

How do I find out if BYETTA will be covered by my pharmacy benefits?
    The Reimbursement Hotline will assist patients in verifying coverage through their insurance plan or in researching eligibility through alternative sources of coverage. The hotline can be reached toll free at 1-800-330-7647.

Is there a patient assistance program if I don't have insurance?
    Amylin and Lilly are committed to assisting patients with diabetes in accessing coverage for its product(s). The Reimbursement Hotline will assist patients in verifying coverage through their insurance plan or in researching eligibility through alternative sources of coverage. Patients with no public or private insurance coverage for prescription drugs may be referred to the Patient Assistance Program . In order to be considered for this program, patients will need to complete an application form and provide information on financial status. Eligibility for the Patient Assistance Program is based on a number of eligibility criteria including financial need.

Found this link!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Thanks LDH. I knew that some companies have that arrangement for diabetics. The info you provided will prove invaluable I'm sure. 9 years of pioneering, working part time, renting from family very cheap and then when I ditched the Truth I went to school and kept living on nothing. I have been on the county medical program for some time. They only pay for the most rudimentary care. I'm sure they would pay for insulin but that is self defeating. It hinders weight loss and that is nearly as important as getting my blood sugar down.

I just graduated from the University and will be looking for work in a month here. I"ve been too ill to do much of anything. This Byetta stuff sounds like the ticket, just what I need. If not I'm sure I'll be starting insulin very soon.

Again, thank you so much for the info. I appreciate it very much.

W.Once

• LDH
    LDH
    I just graduated from the University and will be looking for work in a month here

I'm so proud of you.

If good health coverage is your goal right off, look to work for a municipality or a civil service job. The wages are not as important as the benefits at this point. After all you're used to being poor. LOL. Just kidding. My 16 year old daughter is sitting here laughing at ME for laughing at YOU. But it's good natured.

Anyhow. Get a job with benefits first, wages second. You can always 'trade-up' for a higher wage job.

Good luck, keep us posted!!!!!

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi Was,

I hope this drug helps you. Have you tried a low carb diet or any supplements (chromium, etc.) ?

• anewme
    anewme

Best wishes to you Wasa, you sound like a fighter!

• Gregor
    Gregor

I've never heard of that drug, but it is a well known fact that the Gila monster lizards bite is considered poisonous simply because they have so many germs in their filthy mouths. I wonder if the rapid weight loss is caused by severe diarrhea? I don't think this would be a very safe way to lose weight, like drinking ditch water in Tijuana. Anyway, good luck.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I hve had several patients take Byetta when other things weren't working, and have really good results. Two of them even had their eye sight improve and had to have their glasses changed. The eye doctors are really impressed with it. I have heard alot of good things from the docs on it too.

The down side is insurance won't cover it. Your doc may have samples. So if he does give it to you, you might ask. If you have a problem finding a way to get it, (it's very expensive) thru a company program, PM me. I've been able to help a couple patients get it.

shelley

• Redneck
    Redneck

I know you stated that you were taking oral meds..What is it that you take?
    I have been on insulin for probably 5 years...Was switched to lower dosage and took Actos with it...After last Dr. Visit I have been taken off insulin..Seeing how I do...And so far so good...Been a month without insulin...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit