Stop Writing People Off

by Coded Logic 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

If you choose to enter into a discussion on this site and you don't have the time, or patience, or are just too damn lazy to defend your position on any given topic that is PERFECTLY FINE. I'm not going to bash you over the head about it. However, please don't TELL ME that I'm "wasting my time" or that the person I'm trying to convince, "will never learn." or that some creationist/believer/whatever "Is just too stupid to get it."

We don't change peoples minds by dismissing bad ideas. We change minds by defeating bad ideas.

Yes, I know, it takes work. It takes research. Sometimes you have to spend a whole hour breaking down one assertion that the other party just made up off the top of their head. But the great thing about this site is that it saves your work. Once you've addressed that bad idea you now have instant access to it. If it ever comes up again in another forum or in everyday speech you now have a resource you can go directly to for a rebuttal.

Also, when two parties have conflicting ideas both people think their right. And they're both going to continue to think they're right until they have a reason to change their mind. Just dismissing the other person's argument out of hand is not going to get them anywhere closer to the truth - and it's not going to get you any closer to the truth. Go out, find reliable sources that support your position. Go out and get the evidence you "know" exists and bring it into the discussion so everyone can see. And if you can't find reliable sources for your position and/or you can't find the evidence you "know" exists - then consider you may not be on as firm footing as you thought. Everyone is wrong from time to time. But it's only by reason and evidence that we ever realize it.

Most importantly, people change their minds in private. It is extremely rare that you are going to find an individual that is going to admit they were wrong on a public forum. Sometimes it's because of pride. Sometimes it's because it just takes a while to process the information. And, even if you don't change the mind of the person who disagrees with you, there's a good chance someone else reading in the thread may change their mind. But that can ONLY happen if you're willing to do the necessary work and give them reasons to do so.

Once again, if you don't have the time to do that - fine. No problem. But PLEASE, stop writing people off. And stop telling those of us who ARE willing to make and effort - and ARE willing to do the leg work - that we're "wasting our time." If the people on this site were incapable of changing their minds they wouldn't be here in the first place. They'd be sitting in a KH sucking down the WTBTS cool aid.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    True dat. I lurked for ages and it was only cos folk could be bothered to reason against dumb arguments that I eventually signed up. You may feel you're throwing your pearls before swine, but you NEVER know who ELSE is reading this...
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@ Coded Logic:

"If the people on this site were incapable of changing their minds they wouldn't be here in the first place."

Some people on this site are incapable of changing their minds and the only reason they come to this site is to convert other people. I could name one obvious example but I won't.

• cofty
    cofty

Well said Coded Logic. It is a pet peeve of mine.

Some intellectually lazy individuals judge everybody by their own standard.

Given the right information people really do change their minds about their most fundamental beliefs.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    Amen!
  • Garrett
    Garrett

*Sees wall of text* oh what a waste of time...will people ever learn?

(sorry I had to) <3

No but seriously, I totally agree with you. I like disposable of hypocrisy's point. We don't know who's watching so might as well type some stuff up in the hopes of helping others. And having the information at a moments notice as you mentioned is invaluable.

Peace,

Garrett

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

@ Coded Logic, Well stated! As long as someone is willing to help a JW critically think for themself, do it!!

It is unfortunate that not every member of JWN is at a stage of healing/grief from the WTBTS's BITE control to want to offer positive and constructive advice to others who are willing to help JWs to critically think for themselves.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• DJS
    DJS

CL,

Nice commentary and I'm glad you are on this site. Cofty used to tell me that, even when it appeared that his research and comments weren't being 'listened' to by the participants in an OP, that it was likely many lurkers were learning from them. But what does he know (just kidding Cofty).

• cofty
    cofty
    ^^^ That was my "Like" ^^^
  • steve2
    steve2

Well reasoned!

Refrain from attacking the person; instead address the issue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit