by ithinkisee 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Target,

That was a great post.

J

• Quandry
    Quandry

Target-you are right. Sometimes it's the little things. I was on a Bible study one time, and we were going over the chapter in the Live Forever book on resurrection. When we got to the paragraph on the people in Sodom and Gomorrah, my book said the exact opposite from the sister next to me. "New Light" had come out!!!! I had the old book, stating that either the people in Sodom would not or would be resurrected (I can't remember which) an I had not even known that the book had been revised, with a new edition stating the opposite view. Now I know that this doctrine has been changed back and forth many times, but at the time I was horrified that the view could change so completely and quickly. I was still in many years past this, but a seed was planted, just as you said.

Rarely will jumping in with both feet and taking an opposing stance work. Being subtle, picking one thing to discuss, planting a seed. That may, over time, work.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I can relate to that feeling, ithinkisee. When I meet a JW for the first time, all the implications of what they believe and the tarnished 'golden' cage they have caught themselves in to, I get all tongue-tied. The flood of information gets dammed up somehow.

On the other hand, when I've stumbled across active JW's on various DB's, I reel out my information slowly. After some small talk, I usually start with "I have a few problems with the society". This usually sucks them in right quick, as they ask what it is. I pick one, based on what I've learned about the person already. It might be blood, or the treatment of people, or the way they selectively ignore some scriptures.

I try and stay off the rabbit trails and just drill that one concept home. Like Blondie says, water the garden and move on.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Things people said to me at the doors had more affect on me than anything I ever heard at a meeting.

I remember once, as a young pioneer, another sister and I went on a return visit of hers. This lady knew her bible, and asked so many questions that we couldn't answer logically.... I can't remember the specifics, but it made a huge impression on me.

When I was struggling with serious doubts, someone made a very pointed comment to me at the door. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was struggling to stay 'mentally' in.... and that comment hit home with me so hard that it slammed the door of the WTS shut for me forever. I wish I could find that lady and thank her personally.

A well chosen comment or question might save a doubting JW. But be careful, ITIS.... even if the specific JW at your door doesn't know who you are at the time, if the elders ever do decide to look you up, what you have said previously might very well be related to the elders then. Don't ask anything that might incriminate you.

GGG

• target
    target

Many years ago I was with my husband conducting a bible study when the doorbell rang. It was a couple of Baptists. As they went through their presentation, they were using the same scriptures to prove what they were saying that we were using in the bible study to prove what we were saying. That one really hit me!

I have used that since when Mormons or Baptists or jws come to the door. I ask them how they know what they have is the truth and they always say because the scriptures prove it. Then I tell them that the others who come to my door use those same scriptures to prove they have the truth. It always leaves them without a comment for a few minutes. Simple statement. Seed planted!!

They can't all be right, but they can all be wrong.

Target

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I had a couple of sisters™ come by today. It was the first time in years. I didn't want to bother discussing anything with them, so I just told them I didn't want to be involved with a cult that protects pedophiles. I doubt they'll bother me again in the near future.

I realize that I have no tact, but I just don't want JWs anywhere near me.

W

• Arthur
    Arthur

Hello ithinkisee,

That picture you have posted on your alias is hilarious. Why don't you just go to the door dressed like that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit