What Type Of Congregation Were You In ???

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The older I get, the more I appreciate serenity and tranquiity. I grew up in a pretty large city and the congregation had all types. We had some families that were from broken homes---actually many. And we had the theocrats that thought they did nothing wrong and reported everything they could to the elders about everyone else. And of course, we had persons that believed they were always being victimized. Then there were the "cause finders", ones who always looked for a cause to rally around, as in pointing how Sister Deprived never gets attention and the elders aren't doing their job so they become the congregation's moral guardians......What was your Hall like????

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The last congregation was pretty average: about 60 or so publishers and a half dozen elders. The P.O. seemed to be a nice fellow, a real 'gets-things-done' type with a nice family. One elder has a son at the local branch office. The B.S. conductor was nice enough until he got in my face about service and missed meetings. Another elder was nice enough but obviously tired of conducting the W.T. Study. An older elder, school conductor, suffers from Parkinsons. Plenty of average publishers around a few pioneers. Sadly, there were a few really good friends that I made not too long before I stopped going. Other than that, besides meetings, service and hall maintenance, there wasn't much of a sense of community. Just your typical spiritually materialistic congregation.
    Dave

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Ours was a suburb of a suburb, but still pretty large. Like 200 or so I would say. It was really clique-ish though, there was a clique for everything.

• minimus
    minimus

Any troublemakers????

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Our congregation was just one big dysfunctional family...literally. Everyone was married to someone's relative. I believe the inter-marriage affected the gene pool within the congregation. The most important thing for the women was what you wore, what your hair looked like and how much gossip you could spread in a 10 minute period. The most important thing for the men was scrambling up that golden ladder to lord/eldership. There was so much kissing ass that most people just left their pants down all the time.

Good riddance says I.

cathy l.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere
    Our congregation was just one big dysfunctional family...literally. Everyone was married to someone's relative. I believe the inter-marriage affected the gene pool within the congregation. The most important thing for the women was what you wore, what your hair looked like and how much gossip you could spread in a 10 minute period. The most important thing for the men was scrambling up that golden ladder to lord/eldership. There was so much kissing ass that most people just left their pants down all the time.

LOL...and our 2 families emerged. Left everyone was in a state of shock, since they were known to hate each other! Oh good times!

It was all about how much money you had, and your status in the congregation.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

ours had some wonderful matriarcal (is that a word?) older women.

these women started the congregation yeaaaaaars ago before any men were around that were jws.

while they were alive , it was a great congregation full of love and very little scandal. seemed to me like a lil church from the 50s. they all started dying off in the 70s

oooooo boy.. hit the 1980s when the society sent in elders from other areas of the usa.. it turned into .... " your not acceptable socially,or theocratically unless your publisher card reflects at LEAST the national average of hours"

the whole atmosphere changed and it became an ugly place lorded over by 2 families.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Everyone was an asshole except for me.

W

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    we had persons that believed they were always being victimized. Then there were the "cause finders", ones who always looked for a cause to rally around, as in pointing how Sister Deprived never gets attention and the elders aren't doing their job so they become the congregation's moral guardians......What was your Hall like????

Exactly my current congregation. Its as if you are secretly in my cong Minimus.

• minimus
    minimus

HadEnuf and Finally Free-----you're FUNNY!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit