Did people make fun of you when you were a JW?

by JH 25 Replies latest jw friends

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Is the Pope German?

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Huh?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I rarely told anyone I was a JW. It didn't take long for me to realize it wasn't something to be proud of.

W

• Warlock
    Warlock

Brooke,

That's a good one about the parties!

Do you know why my daughter choose to be home schooled in her senior year? Because she said she was being invited to so many parties she could no longer resist and was afraid she might do something wrong.

Warlock

• damselfly
    damselfly

No, but it probably helped helped that there were oodles of us in my school.

Dams

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I never got any real serious flack for being a JW, much because I wasnt a particularly devout one in school.

I was about 13 or 14 and I remembering being dragged on the ministry one saturday morning and I was 'working' with an elder who was adamant on me taking my turn instead of saying nothing (which was my usual trick). So we knocked on this door and who should answer but the girl who I had liked for almost an age (about a month lol). I thought she was gorgeous and pretty much the most 'developed' girl there was in my class!

It was obvious to the prick next to me that she knew me from school because as she opened the door she had a look of surprise on her face and said 'Hiya Gary, whats up?' I looked up at this elder for support and my face said....'come on help me out here...but instead of taking over which any reasonable person wouldve done to save my embarassment, he insisted on me making the full presentation. Bastard!

So I embarassingly said...'well you know Im a JW now...and Im coming round with these magazines like....' she smiled said she wasnt interested (thank feck) and that she would see me at school on Monday. We moved on. I was dreading Monday morning.

Despite numerous attempts to delay it, Monday morning came round and I walked into class thinking I was about to get the biggest amount of p*ss taken out of me but surprisingly nothing of the sort happened. I had science class and I had to sit next to her that lesson given our names had the same initial and I was dreading it. Science class came round I thought Id better just get on with it and said I was sorry about Saturday morning and that I couldve died when she opened the door.

She wasnt in the slightest bit bothered but said, 'well you know where I live now....next time when you call dont bring those magazines cos there crap and certainly dont bring that old bloke cos I think hes a perv'. How perceptive lol.

We became good friends through school until she moved away!

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

DB1974 Thats cool she sounds like she would have made a great sister! ha, ha, ha, Once I ditched school with a gang of friends, we went down to McDonalds, I walked in and wouldn't you know it my mom and her service Nazi's were there, they all knew were suppose to be in school. I got into so much trouble

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Am I the only one who thinks this topic should be qualified based on if you were actually a JW or if you were a double lifer that was pretty much normal?

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I wasn't make fun of either.

I do find it interesting that most of the ones that did get made fun of was guys. Maybe girls don't get made fun of as much.

lisa

• james_woods
    james_woods

Of course, it is by far the worst for the most innocent - that is, the kids. Especially high school.

I graduated in 1967, so VietNam and protest movement were just getting started. Mostly, my class were kind of red-neck patriotic athletic fundies. I was hanging with the math, science, and chemistry nerds.

I never let anybody know I was one (hell, just being science nerd boy was bad enough - at least until I got my first car)...I even saluted the flag and went to the team pep rallies.

I reasoned that I wasn't baptized yet and besides, it didn't say not to do these things in the Bible. Now, if only I could have kept that attitude going before they bamboozled me into baptizm...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit