Did people make fun of you when you were a JW?

by JH 25 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Did people make fun of you when you were a JW, or were you on top of the situation, and knew what to say to shut them up and make them feel stupid or without faith?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Jaffa Cake?

Hovis Biscuit?

Slim

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I actually got a bit of kudos at school for being a JW. When it was assembly or religious education or anything xmassy, eastery I used to sit outside class and read. Kids walking past thought I had been kicked out for being naughty and used to say 'Wow have you been kicked out again, that's cool' They thought I was the most rebellious kid in school.

It couldn't last though and eventually everyone knew I was a JW.. and then I got jovers sh*tness, jobo etc. Nobody took it too far cos I was a big kid and bopped anyone who got out of line..and then I was often stood outside the headmasters office for being naughty. Went full circle.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I can still remember the shame and embarassment of standing in the hall at school during the national anthem and the lord's prayer.

When I left the dubs, I vowed never to take crap from anyone ever again.

After 11 tattoos, several piercings, a look that would freeze fire, and an attitude that would send satan himself into a corner crying, I won.

People pretty much leave me alone now.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Never. Even though I became quite devout in high school, I allways kept to myself and never made an issue out of anything. I also allways stood for the pledge, but never participated. I allways thought is quite ignorant for JWs never to even stand. Seemed more pig headed than godly.

• daystar
    daystar

Not directly because I was a JW, but indirectly because I was raised to be very meek. I was also a tall, skinny kid with glasses. The combination made for quite the mark when I was young.

I've learned since then... Slow to anger, but quite fierce when there.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

when I was really young yes, National Anthem was a big cause for laughing at me, I had a teacher who would point out that I couldn't say it, but I would still stand for respect. Later 7-8th grade, I just decided that I would only act like a witness at home, I started doing christmas stuff, and saying the Anthem, what ever I wanted. Once a kid from the hall came up to me and said that he had to tell the elders and my parents on me for smoking and having a girlfriend, not only did I kick his ass but all my worldly friends jumped him. He never talked!

• Warlock
    Warlock

I didn't grow up a witness, but my daughter did.

She couldn't give a rats ass (sorry JH) about how people felt about it. She was not picked on, and instead, the kids respected that she was a j.w. The kids in her high school (a big one) pretty much tolerated all religions,Christians- Pagans.

The other thing about my kid was that when she was in the door to door work, she would frequently see friends from school in the territory and she didn't mind.

When we went out together it was like "Hey, I didn't know you lived here!" "That car that just honked at us is a friend from school". I was just amazed.

Warlock

• karen96
    karen96

I got more ridicule from my non-JW family. My mom had studied when I was in elementary school and middle school, but when I became a dub, my mom would then say "YOUR friends were here." Never mind the years SHE spent with them!

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Not at all! Everyone was in a state of shock because I was normal. You know the rumor of JW's driving white caddy's with 70's suits? So all my friends thought it cool that I was a Dub.

I remember going to house parties in High School yelling "JW in da House!"...lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit