Parents congregation disbanding

by New Worldly Translation 14 Replies latest jw friends

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

My parents told me that the DO has advised the cong that it's going to close due to there not being enough publishers in it (why didn't he just say people )
    It is a very small cong with about 35 people in it but they have enough elders and everyone was happy being in it. Apart from being dubs they actually are a genuinely nice bunch of people and I feel a bit sorry for them having to get split up against their wishes.
    The hall is split into two congs, with the other half having about 140 publishers, and I asked why they didn't just ask some from the other half to support theirs. I knew the answer to this one already because the cong split acrimoniously when one prominent elder was disfellowshipped for nefarious acts with underage children (as far as I understand. It's really hard to get the full story even though it was a serious matter and people have a right to know). He was re-instated in a blisteringly short space of time after showing remorse and several of the elders disagreed with this decision and the fact that no secular authorities were advised and so formed another cong. The ex-elder in question is part of one of those families and extended cliques that seem to run everything so obviously the org didn't dare ask that cong to help out and rock the boat (spineless nepotism in my view)

I think the crux of the matter is that the org don't think they're getting the desired throughput from the cong because they have a limited amount of publishers and quite a few are elderly. They are like time and motion men just looking at figures and charts and deciding on a purely business-like point of view against the congs wishes.

Anyway I was surprised that the org could disband a cong unilaterally. I imagined it would have to go tthrough a congregation vote or some other procedure. I know it's a false concept but the org always imply that the congs themselves have ownership of the kingdom halls and the cong is their domain as long as judicial committees and such like have to get involved.

I'm actually a bit sad for the people in the cong on one hand but happy that the trend of congs splitting due to rising numbers is ending and numbers are decreasing on the other.

• nelly136
    nelly136

so if i'm reading this right..............

theyre shutting down the congregation that hasnt got the child molester in it and leaving open the one that does?

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

"He was re-instated in a blisteringly short space of time after showing remorse and several of the elders disagreed with this decision and the fact that no secular authorities were advised and so formed another cong."

Can elders really do that...just go and form another congo because of some issue in the current one they are in? I thought all those decisions came from the Branch, CO, etc?

Totally understand their reasons to form their own.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Not sure if they specifically told the org about the reasons for the split or if they just said they felt the cong was getting too large. They must have known what was going on though. Maybe that's why they've shut it down, they've said 'well you've set up another cong, had a go at running it, it hasn't expanded so were shutting it down'.

It is strange JW's attitude cos in the big cong after the re-instatement they viewed everything as hunky dory and sorted out and the new cong were looked on as kind of rebellious for leaving.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Thanks for this info NWT. I am astounded that no authorities were told about this child molester - the repeat offense rate without treatment is high.Has he been receiving counselling or any kind of treatment? I am outraged that he has not received any punishment - I assume the rest of the congregation does not know and so he mixes freely with the children?

• vitty
    vitty

Its really strange how the congregations have to be 50 pub or more (unless you live in a remote place)

I was in a big con about 130 ppl and it was very bad. You only ever spoke to people you knew well. Hey listen to me it sounds as if I care

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin
    Not sure if they specifically told the org about the reasons for the split or if they just said they felt the cong was getting too large.

Nothing happens in a congregation split without the Org. knowing about it.

HCM

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

From what I am hearing from some individuals who are in the "know" this type of thing is happenening more and more frequently than before. Why cant the WT just admit that the ranks are shrinking.

• core
    core

Usual reason for this is that 'there are not enough elders' or 'we can use the elders from here better elsewhere' (so your closed )

Interesting is what happens to the funds of the disbanded cong - let me guess - they go to the branch office as a donation! ! as would any building fund or whatever ! the vanishing money trick again - now you see it - now you own it - now your broke!

The UK Congs (mostly) have a standard constitution that allows "rule from the top" so that the branch can dissolve/merge etc at will with no votes.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Brother NWT,

That's what you get for standing up for what is true and rightous. The Bible says it plain and simple. If you stand up for what is right you will be persecuted.

To me, this is really a case of people really standing up for what is right. Bad result for them, but at least they can live with themselves.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit