In memory of Jeff...

by nsrn 18 Replies latest watchtower medical

• nsrn
    nsrn

I was just remembering a childhood friend. Jeff was 2 years older than me, and our mothers were good friends, lifelong witness sisters. Jeff's dad was 'worldly,' and I can remember being envious that Jeff didn't have to go out in service and was allowed to miss many meetings. When he did come, he always had a notebook and was allowed to draw during meetings (I was required to appear to be paying attention, being an elder's kid and a good example.) But Jeff was a wonderful artist. I remember sitting by him at meeting, eagerly awaiting the next sketch out of the corner of my eye.

He was quiet and thoughtful. At elementary school, we were the only 2 witness kids for years, and we spent every Halloween, Christmas, and Valentines party together in the hallway or library. It was the one thing that made that bearable--looking forward to to playing that miniature chess game of his.

As a teen, Jeff had it tough at home and at school. His dad had terminal lung cancer. His dear granny died. They had big financial trouble. And he became more obviously different. Introspective, uneasy, sensitive, and depressed. I still looked for him eagerly in the hallway at school, and gloated at having a protective 'big brother' that saved me a seat at lunch at the senior's table! He came rarely to meetings, but I'll never forget one 'get together' squaredance where we were partners.

Remember this was 1977. Depression was not as publicly discussed, and antidepressants were not nearly as common as now. And Jeff, bless his heart, was gay. There was no chance he would get his dream of art school in New York. There was just no chance for this gentle soul to have a life in our little redneck town.

So that January he cleaned out his locker, and turned in his homework early. He cleaned his room and emptied his pockets. And he took his grandpa's old pistol out to the grape arbor behind the garage, settled down in the snow, and shot himself in the head.

I won't bore you all with the details of my intense grief at age 15. I'm tearing up thinking about it. I'll always remember how Dad and I went out to that grape arbor and scraped up all that bright red snow by flashlight, so Jeff's mom wouldn't have to see it again.

My dad gave his funeral talk, to the immediate family only. He says it was one of the hardest things he ever did. (see my old posts--my dad was one of the good guys). None of Jeff's few friends, including me, were allowed at the funeral. My mom said it was better that his folks didn't have to deal with a bunch of emotional teenagers.

I finally found his grave, at a little country cemetery, and cried over his headstone. "May Jehovah remember my only son".

I'm sorry this is so long. But I'm still missing him.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

such a tragic story. it is however a beautiful tribute to the memory of your friend.

hugs

• damselfly
    damselfly

Sweetie I'm so sorry this is still painful for you.

he sounds like he was a big brother to you.

(((hugs)))

Dams

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

What a sad tragedy.

I'm teary with you.

-Aude.

• Quandry
    Quandry

How wonderful that Jeff had a friend like you to remember him and mourn for him. Thanks for sharing.

• arwen
    arwen

That is so sad... Keep his memory alive and with you always. ...Much love to you.

• nsrn
    nsrn

Jeff's dad died that spring. I spent a lot of time with him--he was so sad, and sick, and he reminded me so much of Jeff! I went with him to a gun dealer and we sold that old gun (they needed the money, and wanted rid of the gun). That was surreal...

• nsrn
    nsrn

As an adult, I have almost taken comfort in the knowledge that Jeff was spared dying a slow, painful death from AIDS. We lost almost a whole generation of artistic, sensitive, and creative men--and sometimes I saw Jeff's eyes in those haunting pictures of the first AIDS victims...

(absolutely NO intention of offending anyone or stereotyping...just what's on my mind tonight...)

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

As a gay man who grew up in the "troof," I would have loved to have had a friend like you. Thank you for sharing with us.

CountryGuy

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

yeah..but he was also denied a happy partnership with someone he loved. its just so sad.

just a total waste of a life that he deserved to have the opportunity to live.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit