How Does the WT Explain this verse

by XBEHERE 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Since he foretold it, it was just as if he was going to do it.

What kind of ad hoc explanation is this?

And Ezekiel 43:3 provides rather shaky support, for some manuscripts have "I came" and others have "he (i.e. God) came"....it is not clear which is the right reading. And the argument doesn't wash anyway. What Ezekiel was talking about was something that has befallen others, not himself. Jesus' oracle is about something that would befall himself and he speaks as the agent. A true analogy would be if Ezekiel said, "I will cut my hair off" and didn't really mean that he would be cutting his hair but that Jehovah would be cutting it (i.e. without Ezekiel's agency).

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Greg Stafford has a very good discussion of this verse if you have his book.

The reasoning book says re: the "I'll raise myself up" point that Jesus also said to the women with the flow of blood "your faith has made you well." Technically it was not the "faith" that had made her well, but the holy spirit which was able to operate because of her faith. Similarly Jesus was able to say that he raised himself up because his perfect life course ensured that he would be resurrected.

The other explanation is that Jesus was talking about the "body" of believers, but that seems less convincing.

As for the spiritual versus physical resurrection, there does not seem to be a problem if we take the "it" that will be raised to be a reference to the person of Jesus rather than the physical body.

As for the quote from Ignatius - well we all know that Ignatius' letters are highly corrupt.

Leolaia says that the idea of the body dissolving and being replaced is a modern theory of "re-creation" that bears no relation to what Jews at the time believed. This is a popular accusation made against the Witnesses' view of resurrection, but I am not sure that it holds in view of the following description by Paul:

1 Corinthians 5: 1 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, should be dissolved, we are to have a building from God, a house not made with hands, everlasting in the heavens. 2 For in this dwelling house we do indeed groan, earnestly desiring to put on the one for us from heaven, 3 so that, having really put it on, we shall not be found naked. 4 In fact, we who are in this tent groan, being weighed down; because we want, not to put it off, but to put on the other, that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now he that produced us for this very thing is God, who gave us the token of what is to come, that is, the spirit.

Slim

• ringo5
    ringo5
    Accordingly, Jesus Christ simply could not have meant that he would raise himself up from the dead.

Therefore we will tell you what he meant to say because what he said was kind of confusing, right?

Jesus H. Christ! (lord's name in vain )

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Slimboyfat:

Leolaia says that the idea of the body dissolving and being replaced is a modern theory of "re-creation" that bears no relation to what Jews at the time believed. This is a popular accusation made against the Witnesses' view of resurrection, but I am not sure that it holds in view of the following description by Paul:
    1 Corinthians 5: 1 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, should be dissolved, we are to have a building from God, a house not made with hands, everlasting in the heavens. 2 For in this dwelling house we do indeed groan, earnestly desiring to put on the one for us from heaven, 3 so that, having really put it on, we shall not be found naked. 4 In fact, we who are in this tent groan, being weighed down; because we want, not to put it off, but to put on the other, that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5 Now he that produced us for this very thing is God, who gave us the token of what is to come, that is, the spirit.

On the contrary: This verse is a result of Paul becoming old, and realising that he might not be around when Christ returns (as the text says "For we know that if..."). And he knows that if he dies before that happens, he will have to experience death. His comfort is the very idea that the WTS rejects, that after death, he gets to go to heaven, and he will go there as a "Spirit creature" ("a house not made with hands"). And the "we know that if our earthly house", signifies that this is the promise for every christian. The very idea that the WTS rejects, and claims is no part of the Bible. This is something completely different than the ressurection of the bodies to perfect, immortal form.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth
    no no no Jesus didn't mean what he said, 'cause, 'cause, lots of times the Bible says things that it doesn't mean , right?

It's easy to mock when you're not thinking deeply.

Did Jesus literally mean what he said in the following texts?

• "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: ... And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee." (Matthew 5:29, 30)
    • "But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you." (Matthew 6:6) [No praying in church or when you're in school or at work!]
    • "No one can serve two masters." (Matthew 6:24) [It's impossible to hold jobs at two different companies!]
    • "Why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these." (Matthew 6:28, 29) [Don't worry about making or buying clothes because they'll be provided to you miraculously!]
    • "Let the dead bury the dead." (Matt. 8:22) [Dead people will rise from the dead in order to bury other dead people!]
    • “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters – yes, even his own life – he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26) [You can't be a Christian unless you hate your family!]
  • Hellrider
    Hellrider

fjtoth: Compare your examples...

• "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." (Matthew 5:29, 30)
  • "But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you." (Matthew 6:6)
  • "No one can serve two masters." (Matthew 6:24)
  • "Why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these." (Matthew 6:28, 29)
  • "Let the dead bury the dead." (Matt. 8:22)
  • “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters – yes, even his own life – he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:26)
  • With...

(John 2:18-22) 18 Therefore, in answer, the Jews said to him: "What sign have you to show us, since you are doing these things?" 19 In answer Jesus said to them: "Break down this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." 20 Therefore the Jews said: "This temple was built in forty-six years, and will you raise it up in three days?" 21 But he was talking about the temple of his body. 22 When, though, he was raised up from the dead, his disciples called to mind that he used to say this; and they believed the Scripture and the saying that Jesus said.
    It should be easy to see that such statements as "if thine right offend you, pluck it out" are metaphors, and should be interpreted as such. But on John, this is not the case. Yes, there is an element of something metaphorical in equating "temple" with "body", but this is explained to us. There is nothing metaphorical when Jesus says "Break down this Temple and in three days I will raise it up". There is nothing in that that even indicates that it is metaphorical. As for the argument that agents of God often speaks on behalf of God: It simply doesn`t hold water. This is not the same kind of passage. Like Leolaia said: Had Jesus said that "I will cut my hair off", would that mean that he had meant that Yahweh would be cutting his hair off? The point is: Your insisting on that this I will raise it up-statement should be interpreted symbolically/metaphorically is a result of your doctrinal view, a view that allready has decided that Jesus didn`t raise himself up, because there`s no such thing as a trinity. If you read the verse without any doctrinal basis, there is no reason to believe that the verse means that there is someone else than himself that would raise him up. On the other hand, a person with no doctrinal prejudice reading the whole Bible, would easily see that in John, Jesus says that he himself will raise himself up. And he will see other passages elsewhere that says God raised him up. And from this, the reader would probably come to his/her own trinitarian conclusions.
  • A Paduan
    A Paduan

The Lord said to my Lord, sit at my right hand

--------------------------------------

No one can confess "Jesus is Lord" except by the Holy Spirit

• fjtoth
    fjtoth
    It should be easy to see that such statements as "if thine right offend you, pluck it out" are metaphors, and should be interpreted as such.

I supplied the "metaphors" to illustrate that we can't always give a literal interpretation to the words of Jesus. Are you taking issue with that or what?

Yes, there is an element of something metaphorical in equating "temple" with "body", but this is explained to us. There is nothing metaphorical when Jesus says "Break down this Temple and in three days I will raise it up". There is nothing in that that even indicates that it is metaphorical.

Either there is "an element of something metaphorical" or there is "nothing in that that even indicates that it is metaphorical." Which is it? In one breath you acknowledge something metaphorical, and in the next breath you deny there is anything metaphorical at all!

As for the argument that agents of God often speaks on behalf of God: It simply doesn`t hold water. This is not the same kind of passage.

Is this established fact or merely your opinion? Where is your evidence or supportive authority for stating "This is not the same kind of passage"?

Your insisting on that this I will raise it up-statement should be interpreted symbolically/metaphorically is a result of your doctrinal view.

I think you're the one with the "doctrinal view." You insist on your interpretation of one verse against the clear testimony of 22 other verses. You make no allowance for how the Bible interprets itself and insist on your own view. As explained above, there is another way to understand the metaphorical and hyperbole expressions of Jesus, but you won't allow for that. You deny what 22 verses state just so you can have it your way.

If you read the verse without any doctrinal basis, there is no reason to believe that the verse means that there is someone else than himself that would raise him up.

I am reading the verse "without any doctrinal basis" while you're reading it without giving consideration to the rest of the New Testament. Think about that. I'm sticking to what 22 verses clearly say while you're sticking to one that possibly contains, according to your own admission, "an element of something metaphorical."

And from this, the reader would probably come to his/her own trinitarian conclusions.

"Probably"? How about "possibly"? You seem very confident that nearly everybody sees things the way you do. Some of us, however, prefer to stick to the Bible. Twenty-two statements specifically state that it was God the Father who raised Jesus, and that's good enough for us. Jesus is not God the Father, or is that a new doctrine you want us to believe?

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Fjtoth:

Yes, there is an element of something metaphorical in equating "temple" with "body", but this is explained to us. There is nothing metaphorical when Jesus says "Break down this Temple and in three days I will raise it up". There is nothing in that that even indicates that it is metaphorical.

Either there is "an element of something metaphorical" or there is "nothing in that that even indicates that it is metaphorical." Which is it? In one breath you acknowledge something metaphorical, and in the next breath you deny there is anything metaphorical at all!

You are splitting hairs. Yes, there is something metaphorical, but exactly what it is in that passage that is metaphorical, is explained to us. But the complete passage, the overall passage, is not metaphorical at all. The WTS are very good at this: When something collides with their doctrinal views, they say that it is to be interpreted symbolically/metaphorically (btw, I assume you used to be a jw, or raised jw, like me, or whatever, please do not think I am accusing you of being a WTS-advocate every time I mention the WTS, because I`m not). This is a very wrong approach, because the Bible is in most of the cases, very clear on when something is supposed to be interpreted symbolically, it`s just a matter of understanding the context and time in which is was written. For example, the passage you quoted from Acts:

"And if thy right eye offend you, pluck it out, and cast it from thee".

This is meant to be interpreted symbolically. Why? Because self-mutilation was seen as a horrible and ungodly act by the jews.

Then there is Luke 14:26: Looks like you have to hate your own family to be a christian? Nope. This was unthinkable within the context, jews living in that area 2000 years ago, an extremely family-orientated situation. The point of the text is to say that it`s gonna be hard to follow Christ. And that you might even have to forsake your family. Hopefully not. Case closed.

Matthew 8:22: Clearly symbolical, but your interpretation isn`t correct. It has nothing to do with the risen dead burying the condemned that are killed by God in Armageddon. It isn`t even certain that the father in question here is dead yet.As it was jewish custom to bury the dead on the day that they died, that son wouldn`t even have been there, if this was the day his father had died, and this would be obvious to the reader at this time. So either the father is old and fragile but not dead yet, or the situation is intentionally absurd by the author of Matthew with the intent of saying something/ get the moral of the story across: That it is so urgent to follow Christ, that you should just drop everything that you have in your hands and go follow him, right now, and there is also the aspect of Jesus Christ being life, and the author intends to stress the urgency of choosing this life. All the others, those that don`t choose the life in Christ, are basically allready dead (not physically, but spiritually). This would be very clear to the reader at the time.

As for the argument that agents of God often speaks on behalf of God: It simply doesn`t hold water. This is not the same kind of passage.

Is this established fact or merely your opinion? Where is your ;evidence or supportive authority for stating ;"This is not the same kind of passage"?

And this is the point...see the verses above? They are metaphorical/symbolic for a reason!!! They are symbolical because the author is trying to tell us something, and he is trying to tell it to us in a beatiful, metaphorical, litterary way! Every passage (above) has "something in it" that just jumps out at the reader and screams to him: "This is a metaphor! This means something different than what it looks like!" If you compare these verses with the John-passage, what do you see? There are no similarities! There is nothing metaphorical about the John-passage at all! There is nothing that screams to the reader: "This is metaphorical! This obviously means something different than what it looks like!" When the reader at the time read "Destroy this Temple, and in three days, I will raise it up", there is nothing metaphorical, nothing in the readers mind that would be triggered into believing that the "I" is meant metaphorically, and that it would be God doing the actual raising. There are many reasons why there would be no "metaphorical trigger" in the mind of the reader, and I`ll try to explain it:

- First of all, the Bible hadn`t been canonised at this time, so the reader wouldn`t necessarily have access to the 22 other verses. The writer would know this. If he would have wanted to say that it was the Father who raised him, he would have said so, because he wouldn`t intentionally have wanted to contribute to confusion. The writer clearly wants us to believe that Christ raised himself. This is high-Christology, to make Jesus very divine, and it would be clear to the reader, and not to hard to swallow, because:

- At this time in history, the view on father and son was very different from what it is now. Today, 2000 years later, we know that a child, whether boy or girl, is a result of comibation of the genes from father and mother. Also, we have a very well developed educational system, and any child can frow up to become whatever he or she wants. 2000 years ago, it was different. At this time, they still believed in the view of Aristotle, that when a boy-child was born, everything spiritual, and even the physical appearance came from the father. The form came from the father. The matter, however, the flesh and bone, came from the mother. But the shape of it, as well as the boys spirit/soul came from the father. This view was so strong that when a girl was born, this "abnormality" (how can a girl come out of the womb, when it was the fathers spirit that was put in there) was explained away by saying that "something went wrong inside the womb". Basically, a girl was a mutilated boy. And when a boy grew up, he would follow in his fathers footsteps, every step of the way, and choose the same kind of job his father had, and be trained by his father. Basically, a boy was an extension of his father. The two were distinct, but still the same, and the same in much, much stronger way than a boy and his father today, 2000 years later. And so, there would be nothing in the mind of a reader, 2000 years ago, that would think "hm, this is trange" when reading this verse, even if he had access to the 22 other verses.

- The same high-Christology can also be found elsewhere in John. There`s not one verse that says he raised himself, there are two:John 10:17-18

"Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father."

He had the power to take it again...himself. The power to do this, he received from his Father (like every boy, inheriting his fathers skills, whether it be as a carpenter or...God )

I am reading the verse "without any doctrinal basis" while you're reading it without giving consideration to ;the rest of the New Testament.
    I am giving consideration to the rest of the NT. This is exactly what I am doing. I am just not willing to ignore or twist one passage beyond recognition to arrive at a certain, desired conclusion. I choose an overall view that lets all the passages fit into that overall view.
  • XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Thanks for all of your comments. What this tells me is that there are soooo many opinions on what the bible means and JWs just pick one and go with it. How can we trust anything people say about the bible then if just about anyone can attempt to spin it towards their point of view... scary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit