Crisis of Conscience

by mavie 22 Replies latest jw friends

• done4good
    done4good

I picked up the latest edition, (6th?) on Amazon.com a few months ago for about $10.

j

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Can anyone tell me what the main differences are between the older and newer versions?

I bought mine about 5 years ago. I have to say I read it with blinkers and even though I had been out a long while it still didn;t change my opinion that JWs were fundamentally right. Maybe I should read it again and its sister publication In Search of Christian Freedom with my enlightened eyes.

• gymbob
    gymbob

Crumpet,

I'm confused....when you finished reading C of C, you say JW's are, "fundamentally right", right about what? GYMBB

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

I know some people who have gone to the library and read a chapter each day during their lunch hour. Most libraries carry an edition, that you could check out or just leave on the shelf with a bookmark in it.....

other than that, find someone who could receive a copy for you. maybe even to your work address?? my husband did this, and he kept it at work so I wouldn't know he had it.

It's a life changing book to read........

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

There is quite a lot of it on Wikipedia, and I believe there is a portion of In Search of Christian Freedom on there as well.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Here is what i did.
    I went to my local Barnes and Noble and ordered it. I kept it at the office and only read it there. I also read it in my car. I take a back pack everwhere I go and so I had it protected at all times.
    Also, without the cover it is just a black hardcover book. Since there are alot of books in my house i could have put it on the bookshelf and my wife would have never known.
    Since my wife is now 'apostate' as well there is nothing more to fear, expect other people coming through the house and seeing the books.
    The biggest thing about having stuff you don't want other people to find out about is the way you react if you ever are caught, or are in a situation where you might get caught.
    I'm sure you will find a way, we all have.
    -drew

• under_believer
    under_believer

I did it the same way as drew--walked into a store and ordered it, paid with cash, and kept it at work.

• lostlantern
    lostlantern

I know exactly how you feel. My husband ordered it and I was horrified. He kept bugging me to read it and I of course said NO. He was persistent, remember the WT's encouragement to leave magazines laying around for people in your household, or sharing small tidbits? My husband did just that, he would share small pieces with me and I would eventually ask him to show me. I did eventually pick it up to read. It is great, I strongly recommend getting over that initial feeling of "abhorrence" and "wt training" and dive in. You will be happy that you did.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

This is for bebu.
    The introduction hasn't changed to my knowledge, he has just added another section to the front. I remember reading the first chapter of the older version online like you did. I've got the latest copy and it's still in there.
    It was over at Amazon.com I believe you could view it.

• blondie
    blondie

I purchased mine through Amazon.com and had it shipped to a neutral location (work is good). Going to the library is good; in fact buying a copy for the library is good if they don't have one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit