SYD BARRETT DIES

by tijkmo 23 Replies latest social entertainment

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

Syd Barrett dies
    (Tuesday July 11, 2006 02:19 PM)

Syd Barrett has died, it has been confirmed.

Barrett was a founding member of Pink Floyd and considered by many to be one of the most influential musicians in rock'n'roll history.

He is understood to have died at his home in Cambridge at the age of 60 last Friday, July 7, after succumbing to complications related to diabetes.

His brother Alan confirmed Barrett's death today, telling The Guardian: "He died peacefully at home. There will be a private family funeral in the next few days."

Barrett retreated from public life and music culture in the early 1970s, after leaving Pink Floyd as his mental health disintegrated in the apparent aftermath of heavy LSD use during the '60s.

His legacy can be heard on the seminal and acclaimed early recordings of Pink Floyd, such as "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn", and his solo material such as "The Madcap Laughs".

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Too Sad.

Pink Floyd, is one of my favorite bands. I have all of their albums.

Brooke

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Syd Barrett and also Peter Green of the original Fleetwood Mac never get enough credit for their contribution

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

being a good little JW I never listened to their music as a kid, but the guy I'm with now told me all about them and how Syd suffered permanent mental problems from doing one hit of LSD..........he said the guy was a genius..........he'll be said to hear this.

• Merry Magdalene
  • Robdar
    Robdar

Thanks for the good times, Syd.

R.I.P

• undercover
    undercover

Sad news...

He was an under appreciated genius.

• orangeyougladimhear
    orangeyougladimhear

brooke is stupid...(aka lesbian)

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i was never a big barrett era fan....prefered the later stuff from meddle on...but there would have been no later stuff without the earlier eh

and there certainly would have been no shine on u crazy diamond

• Confession
    Confession

Was going to mention the same tune, Tijkmo. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," about the musical genius whose mental health degenerated. The books used to say, "He now lives in the care of his mother." Always thought it might be nice to see him interviewed in recent years, but perhaps he was too far gone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit