do you?

by purplebunnyfoofoo 33 Replies latest jw friends

• esw1966
    esw1966

God's name in the Old Testament IS Jehovah. It would be correct to call Him that. Jesus is our Savior and anything that we ask the Father in Jesus' name He will do.

I am working on the Trinity issue. I am not clear on the whole thing yet, but I am beginning to give it some credence. So, I pray to Jehovah, My Heavenly Father, and I pray in Jesus' name.

My pastor said that using God's name Jehovah is fine, that it is one of the names of God. He asked if it made things confusing to me and did it bring me closer to Him by using Jehovah as God's name. His only concern was that it could take me away from the true identity of God.

I also pray that I am confused as to the matter at the moment. I ask Him for guiding me to the right conclusion. So, I try using different terms to see what brings me closer to Him.

Hope that helps a little. I guess I am on the same journey to answering that one as you are!

• anewme
    anewme

I am unsure of so much lately, but I do still need to pray to God. At those times I have been calling him Father.

• Mulan
    Mulan

No and No

• bavman
    bavman

Jehovah is one name that perhaps COULD be used for the trancendent.A name used for the mask of "God". Do I use it as I did at one time though? No. It is one name that is used as many others are used and that is all.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Yes and sometimes.

Let me explain: Think about your most personal relationships. Do you always address you husband or wife by their given names? Do you always address you parents by their given names? Kids? Pets? etc?

I really find the JW's less genuine for always using the name "Jehovah" than if they mixed it up a bit. Their sincere (oh so contrived and disingenuous at times) prayers are not consistant with heartfelt conversation with a loved one.

I didn't count 'em up until now, but I bet I addressed by daughter by at least six different names/titles today. All variations on her name, daughter, sprout, cute names etc. I'm pretty sure I used at least that many for my wife and probably three or four for my cat.

I love them all and my perceptions and feeling for the change during the day. Ditto my feelings for God.

Anyone who claims their love is unchanging is a darn liar.

• parakeet
    parakeet

***Jehovah is one name that perhaps COULD be used for the trancendent.A name used for the mask of "God".***
    The JWs have spoiled the name beyond all repair. It now has unpleasant connotations; using it would be like naming a little boy Adolf.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

No and no. Yahweh is probably a more correct pronunciation of the Divine Name.

• In Between
    In Between

I would say yes ... I mean in our culture, the name Jehovah is used as God's name in all types of media. It seems to be commonly accepted as his name even by non-jw's. I don't have a problem with God or the name. I still believe there is a God. It's the people claiming to be 'his' only true ones, taking that name on as their own 'merit' badge I have a problem with. And I wonder why he doesn't do anything about it ...

Do I use it? Not really. Only when talking to family in reference to something regarding the religion.

• kid-A
    kid-A

The concept of the biblical god having a "name" is itself a logical fallacy.

The idea of "god" posits that said being has existed without beginning and without end (the alpha and omega). A personal "name" is applied to an object

as a means of objectively demarcating said object from other objects or entities. If god is everywhere and everything, he/she it would not require a personal

"moniker". The use of "names" as personal identifiers is a strictly human phenomena and merely reinforces the fact that god is an anthropomorphic projection

of human culture and psychology.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

No! NO, hell NO!

I think the bigger question is do you believe there is (a) God?

And my answer to that is NO!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit