Kidney stones hurt !

by In Between 18 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

((( in between ))) This too shall pass.

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

I'm sorry, I've known a few people to have these, but never experienced it and by the looks of it never want to...but do ya'll know what causes it so I can kinda take precautions.

• Forscher
    Forscher

There are plenty of things which can cause them.
    The easiest way to avoid them is to make sure one drinks plenty of water, especially if one is working out in the hot sun. Mine happened because I'd been left in the country working on a very hot day without anything to drink. Considering that a sunstroke was the other really nasty possibility, I reckon I can count myself lucky. Though you couldn'tve convinced me of that at the time.
    As for the other causes, some medications can cause their formation (diuretics, etc.). The best way to avoid them is the same for that, drink plenty of fluids when taking medications unless otherwise instructed not to. at any rate, do your research on whatever you are taking to be sure. There are also several disease processes and sicknesses which can predispose one to kidney stone formation. Once again, do your research!
    Forscher

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985

wow thanks forscher, I'm actually taking a diuretic right now..so I better drink the recommended 8 glasses of water like they say.

• Forscher
    Forscher

You're welcome!
    Forscher

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

In Between, I know, exactly, how you feel! Oh! The agony! My stone got stuck in my ureter and caused kidney and ureter swelling (hydronephrosis and hydroureter). The urologist had to stick a tube into the ureter and get it out! Then he put a stent in! That thing (stent) looked like a d*mn clothes hanger! Had to keep that in for two weeks!

Yes, thank goodness for pain killers and heating pads!

Did you pass your stone?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

...and one more thing. Did they check to see if you had a "jet" with an ultrasound test? If not, the pain could go away, but that is because the kidney is no longer functioning. My nephrologist always recommends that they check your ureter to make sure that it's not completely obstructed.

My brother had a kidney stone that dropped into his bladder, and he couldn't pass it (pee). Can you say "owwweeee"?! The doctor had to stick a tube into his "you know what" to get it out. My brother said that even with pain meds, after the stone removal, he was crawling around on the floor from the pain.

Now, doesn't that make you feel peachy! Sorry, for telling you my horror stories!

• Calliope
    Calliope

wow, you're the 2nd person this week. what the hell's in the water!??!?!

hang in there. think about it, the dentist visit always seems longer than it really is. you'll make it...

calliopé

• poppers
    poppers

I agree, they hurt like no other kind of pain. I've had them twice. After the first episode in 1996 I became lazy over time and didn't keep up my water intake. What a mistake that was. My last episode was in Jan. of 2000; that time I had to have lithroscopy where they shock them and break them up so they can pass. I've been very good about my water intake for the last 6 years. I've learned my lesson.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit