Never Forget, Religion is a Hole

by Gregor 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

It is easy to get too curious and fall in. You might wander around down there for years, have a family, make friends. Then you will find it is hard to get out.

Someone once said, "Religion is a Snare and a Racket" Remember, a snare is always baited with something to attract the prey.

Religion is organized superstition. It packages up all the answers to lifes perplexing questions and gives them to you on a platter, no muss no fuss, just have "faith" and, very important, try to act like a sheep. Sheep don't even know or care if they're in a hole.

"People" invent and operate religions. They decide what all the answers are and feed them to other people. The people who run the religion are just like other people, they eat, poop, have bad breath, get toothaches, etc.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Stop it. You're making too much sense. Don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain!

Religion is organized superstition

There's truth in what Stevie Wonder sang, "when you believe in things you don't understand...then you suffer! Superstition ain't the way"

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

friend of mine says there are only 2 people in the world that will ask you to have " faith"

con men and religious people. sometimes the line is very blurred between the two

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Thats a bit too general Gregors
    I would say that since there is power in beliefs, there will always be swindlers trying to capitalise.
    Just like in any other market...
    Besides, sometimes religion isn't about answers to lifes questions, sometimes its about getting drunk and worshipping Dionysus by sleeping with the temple prostitutes...

smellsgood

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Gregor:

Thank you Thank you Thank you...well said. I think what you say applies to all religions, otherwise why would educated men find it absolutely logical and appropriate to fly a commercial airplane into a building or to avoid specific foods while the men refuse to cut their hair? (to name a few).

From my standpoint, the very root of every single religion is it's mechanism to control people. So much for the "Jehovah didn't create us as robots, we have freedom of choice" theory. The very idea of good vs evil negates any opportunity for choice.

Thanks for sharing,
    NYCkid

• smellsgood
    smellsgood

Hi NYC kid

"The very idea of good vs evil negates any opportunity for choice."
    philosophically speaking, I'm wondering if you could explain your thoughts a little more on this if you don't mind?

smellsgood

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

well said gregor, can I have your permission to quote you in entirety?

• Gregor
    Gregor

Skeptic2, Thanks, I'm flattered. Feel free to quote me. (Standard 5% royalty applies)

• free2beme
    free2beme

Life has many holes

Religion, Hobbies, Clubs, Philosophies, etc ... sometimes though, in a world that is rough, you have to hide in the trenches to get by or you might get you head blown off.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Religion, Hobbies, Clubs, Philosophies, etc ... sometimes though, in a world that is rough, you have to hide in the trenches to get by or you might get you head blown off.

Yeah, you could add drugs, booze, promiscuity, etc. but I think Religion is a particularly sinister hole. Many people get their heads blown off in that hole.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit