Did You Ever Have a GOOD Body of Elders?

by Warlock 16 Replies latest jw friends

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Searching....searching....searching my memory. NOPE.

• restrangled
    restrangled

In later years here in Florida there was one elder who had a great sense of corny humor. He was always so kind to me. I remember sitting at an assembly next to him, the last speaker before lunch was talking about something contemptible quoted out of the bible.

When the sessions broke, he took out the sandwich his wife had made for him, took a bite and then whispered to me "this sandwich is contemtible" ....Needless to say I went into hysterics with laughter. (His wife was sitting on the other side of me).

Since he got me to laughing at that, when the sessions restarted and there was an especially bad talk he would lean over and say "this talk is contemptible" and we would both go into hysterical laughing all over again as quietly as possible.

He had no bad intentions, just a dear man in his late 60's to early 70's who had lost his daughter who he said was so much like me. I still think of him with good feelings and wish I could have known more like him.

r.

• fairchild
    fairchild

The last KH I went to had a "good" body of elders. All caring and patient people.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

We've got a couple of nice guys on my BoE...one is my grampa, and the other started a congregation in Israel and North Dakota.
    Other than that we are headed by a Bethelite salesman. I'm kind of wishing they'd make him a CO or DO.

• Cellist
    Cellist

We had a good body of elders in the mid-80s. They were so human that the WTS took exception and needlessly and mindlessly changed the congregation boundaries. Split the congregation right in half. The last I heard, those poor, dear brothers were heading for the hills. They were, one after another, moving away and when possible, dropping their eldership. Didn't even have a bad MS in that hall. (Before the split).

We had a couple of real winner elders after the split. The first thing these new elders did was lay siege to our P.O. (he was a wonderful person) and drove him right out. The thing they finally got him on was associating with his daughter who had just been disfellowshipped. They moved away and bought a house with an apartment in the basement. The apt. was for their daughter, they gave her complete support and love.

Cellist

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

nope. nothing but assholes and asswipes.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I think in the early 80's our congregation elders were the sweetest, kindest and dearest men you could know. Most are deceased or in their 80's now. Then they started splitting up the congregation, I think we split three times in about 5 years. Growth, they said..but instead of having 150 at the meeting we started having 50 to 60 which made the pickins' really slim. They started putting men in the elder position who had only been JW's for a relatively short period of time. That's when I saw the cliques, all the dysfunction and the autocratic rule of the JW's. I only lasted a few more years, before my sanity came to a breaking point and I had to leave...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit