My journey to understanding...

by Sparkplug 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

So today I am going back to school for my US History class. Last Week My professor told me to study anything and everything that interested me. I am sitting here bouncing from book to book that I purchased at ½ Price books. If I could stick to topic I would not have so many varying topics. I put about ten books back before I settled on these) I am thinking that if Pocahontas used the immersion process in learning languages and such, so too will I on history.

Here is what I have so far:

The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History. (Quite enlightening on what was missed or incorrectly taught in School)

Taking Sides Clashing Views on Controversial Global issues. (Global Warming)

Magnum (Best Photographers…(One of my favorite things to view on the Net)

The Century Peter Jennings and Todd Brewster (Most Excellent)

Priceless Children 1890 -1925 (Child Labor)

Century of change Life American in pictures from 1900 to 2000 (Who cannot help but love Life photos?)

Life our century in pictures (Same as Above)

The most Evil Women in History (Quite intriguing)

Great Disasters of the 20th Century (The Triangle Shirt Tail Factory Fire)

Icons 200 Men and Women who have made a difference ( Well Just interesting by title, I cannot name anyone in it yet))

The Handy History Answer Book. (Has a ton of answers to questions that now are plaguing me)

Assassinations (Such as Malcolm X- Why and how etc. More of a reference than a dramatization)

Bury My Heart at

It’s About Time (How Long History Took)

Invisible Giants 50 Americans who shaped the Nation but Missed the History Books (Very interesting by title alone)

American History MicroPedia (Quick reference on history topics, with full color photos)

I will check back aftter school to expand on this learning process and what exactly is attracting my attention on each of these.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I study history myself.... You have a good mixture of books..... wish I had the time to look at a couple of those you listed.

I enjoyed the Peter Jennings book, and of course the Life photos.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

::Priceless Children 1890 -1925 (Child Labor)
    That sounds like something I'd like to read. Looks like you have ALOT of reading to do.

• damselfly
    damselfly

They sound fascinating. I've always loved history but the info drains out of my brain as quickly as I pour it in!

Dams

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Wow! I have to finish the class by Monday and I am so excited. I tried to pour out all I had learned over the weekend and show my proffessor also what I was looking at in all of those books. She laughed and laughed and asked if I thought I was going to read all of those books in 5 weeks. I told her maybe and then when she started to see what books I had...I could hardly get them back from her. She said they were all excellent choices, but she did ward me off of a few of the writers of one of the books and said that they made her look like a conservative person. So they must REALLY be in Right field. Anyhow she asked me a lot about what I had read so far and I actually suprised myself at how much I have taken in in just a few weeks.

Now for more reading!

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i love smart people!

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    i love smart people!

I do too, but I want to join them, so I must study! There are so many debates I want to join in and I do not have the ammunition to back up what I think yet. Soon, soon!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

meh. all that reading will just confuse you. Do what I do and make shit up.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    meh. all that reading will just confuse you. Do what I do and make shit up.

Now Six...We all know you are the last person to make shit up. You of all people would read the encyclopedia in order to have sound facts for the argument. The only time you loose your mind is if a person uses no reasoning whatsoever and pushes your buttons. Or so it would seem. Did you not loose all your post last time you lost your mind? hehe

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

ommmmmm, ommmmmm

ommmmmm, ommmmmm

I don't lose my mind anymore now that I've found the joy and health benefits of hummers, er, humming. Even republicans can't piss me off.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit