Is all religion just about personal egotism?

by jambon1 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

(((mouthy))) I pray too that you'll see ALL your children and loved ones together again one day.

poppers - I think you might enjoy reading John MacQuarrie's books! He's one of the top 'existentialist' theologians and very readable as far as theology books go!!

Once you see for yourself that "you" are nothing but a collection of ideas that are clung to the egoic sense begins to crumble. What is left is the awareness in which those ideas arise. This natural state of awareness is what you actually are, and it is not separate from anything else. "YOU" are seen to be whole, and with wholeness fear evaporates.

To put this into my Christian viewpoint, I would say it's similar to stopping looking inwards to yourself - thinking what you can do to please God (thus inducing fear of not making the grade) and instead, looking outwards to Him, existing in His love, being at one with Him so He's no longer a threat to the ego (bringing 'fear' as in 'awe/respect' - a correct type of fear). Sorry if I'm not explaining myself very well, it's been a long, hot day, lol!

• daystar
    daystar

To quote Forrest Gump:

I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

All religion, I don't think so. What is left of religion in the modern Western world, probably.

• trevor
    trevor

As stated - Western religion is often about maintaning the ego of supporting a political power structure within churches.

Some spiritual traditions talk of the death of the ego, enlightenment and transcendanec. EG Krishnamurti,Gurdjiefrf, osho, Bennet....

Some more liberal individuals are able to follow this path within the confines of Christianity but end up being attacked by other Christians who have huge egos to maintain.

Are you listening Shinning one???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit