Survival And Prepardness....

by Justice-One 28 Replies latest social physical

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Survivalist. These days the word in most cases tends to conjure up images of wild eyed nuts in BDU's, armed to their teeth....all two of them.

BUT.....this is just not the case. More and more people these days are seeing the need to be prepared in at least some ways. For some it was the way they were raised. I was always taught that you should be able to take care of yourself and your loved ones, come Hell or high water. I freely admit that I have a lot in common with "Burt Gummer" and I'm proud of it. I have been acquiring "beans bullets and Band-Aid" for more than ten years now. I have also been acquiring the skills needed to use them.

Considering that most of us on this forum were taught that the "brothers" would take care of us, what is your thinking now? I remember one time when I was still in (near the edge, but still in) that there was ONE Elder that I liked. I even to a certain extent trusted him. I showed him my "JASBORR"...Justice's Amazing Secret Bunker Of Redundant Redundancy. He told me that should a disaster ever hit, he would not be give a thought to whether I would need help. He said I would be the one giving it out. BTW, as far as I know, he never did cause me any trouble over my supplies or beliefs.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

tornados happen here on occasion..as well as the city water sometimes is bad enough that you cant drink it for days.. our supplies include: canned food, peanut butter, crackers, dried beans , rice,simple medicines (aspirin, pepto, antibiotic ointment, bandages) bottled water, a change of clothes in water proof package, blankets , candles, matches, flashlight ,radio, batteries and bleach for cleanups. (probably less than 30 dollars actually spent )

its all in a waterproof container in the basement. i add to it on occasion and check expiration dates and such.

before i quit attending meetings i remember an announcement that we were NOT to come to the kingdom hall for help in the event of a natural disaster or terroist attack. i guess we would have to rely on ourselves, the red cross and local chuches. i remember a lot of people were offended and puzzled by that announcement.

• parakeet
    parakeet

It never hurts to lay away some supplies in case of emergency, depending on where you live and what the weather tends to be like. Beyond those basic precautions, though, I don't worry too much about the future. If my whole life were to be concentrated on getting beans, bullets, and those other things just in case of war, nuclear holocaust, invasion, plague, etc., then I'd be just another frightened person who's a few cans of beans short of a case. It would be like Armageddon-planning gone awry.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Justice-One: Justice's Amazing Secret Bunker Of Redundant Redundancy

Let's put it this way, I have eaten pine needles in cases of need, but I'd rather have a chicken ala king MRE any day. I believe "nuts" like us are the only ones who would survive a true cataclysm (if anyone did) because we understand the concept of doing what has to be done to survive.

My heart rips open for the ignorance of the folks that got caught out by Katrina and the loss of life caused by further ignorance on the part of government officials at every level of governance.

But if a true cataclysm occurs it will be only those who understand nature and grasp the distinction between needs and wants that will survive. I know of people who complained they didn't have a hair dryer during a snow emergency in Ohio. Such people, due to ignorance, would not survive.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    If my whole life were to be concentrated on getting beans, bullets, and those other things just in case of war, nuclear holocaust, invasion, plague, etc., then I'd be just another frightened person who's a few cans of beans short of a case. It would be like Armageddon-planning gone awry.

As for me, the only time I have ever been even just a little frightened about the future, was when I knew that I was not prepared. Now prepardness is a relative thing. It seems that the more I learn and the more I stock, ... the more I need. But the bottom line is that I DO NOT live my life in fear. Some have accused me of being just a little nutty when it comes to this, but some of these people where the first ones on the phone to me after 9/11 wanting to know my take on things, and what they should do right now. It reminded me of the line in Tremmors when the fellow said...."I guess we can't make fun of his lifestyle anymore."

• Justice-One
    Justice-One
    Let's put it this way, I have eaten pine needles in cases of need, but I'd rather have a chicken ala king MRE any day. I believe "nuts" like us are the only ones who would survive a true cataclysm (if anyone did) because we understand the concept of doing what has to be done to survive.

My heart rips open for the ignorance of the folks that got caught out by Katrina and the loss of life caused by further ignorance on the part of government officials at every level of governance.

Ahhhh MRE's...three lies for the price of one. Actually I LOVE MRE's. At one time I got a really good price on them, and bought 10 cases. (I used to enjoy taking them to the conventions.) I also have over 400 pounds of hard red winter wheat, pinto beans and other dried goods. They are "nitro-packed" all will be good unopened for at least 20 years for the wheat, and 10 for the beans. This can be found at http://waltonfeed.com/ for anyone that might be interested.

• parakeet
    parakeet

***It reminded me of the line in Tremmors when the fellow said...."I guess we can't make fun of his lifestyle anymore."***
    Well, the next time man-eating, earth-burrowing, stinking, giant worms come a-knockin', I'll know who to call. Good to know there's someone out there ready for anything. Thanks, J1.

• restrangled
    restrangled

After 3 hurricanes, I learned real quick to be prepared, never gave it a second thought up until then.

3 days without power in hot, humid Florida feels like 3 months. The days are long with no light, television, computer, hot water and a diet of peanut butter and crackers.

The smell coming off the streets is disgusting. Blown down vegetation starts rotting, but you have to keep your windows open so you don't cook alive in your own home.

We were lucky, many here went without power for weeks.

r.

• Robdar
    Robdar

As a child, I learned the lay out of the land, I learned about local edible plants, I learned to shoot a rifle. I wasnt going to wait on the brothers to save me or my family and pets. I felt that if and when all hell broke loose, it would come down to me.

At the risk of sounding paranoid, as I observe the current world events, I feel that the time has come to again be prepared. Has anybody read the Army's Survival Manual? It can be downloaded here: http://www.equipped.com/fm21-76.htm . The manual tells it like it is. You can also learn a lot by reading information supplied by your state's conservation department.

• proplog2
    proplog2

I've got 60 gallons of water. Bleach if I need to purify more. Enought Tuna, Salmon, Canned Beans etc. to last the three of us a month.

I have a sling shot if I need to kill a rabbit.

I plan on buying a 22 rifle soon.

Lots of kerosene latterns. Candles. Flashlights, Bic Lighters Matches

Five Gallons of kerosene.

Sleeping bags.

Good bikes.

Good hiking shoes.

Lots of cough, cold, and headache medicine.

24 half pints of 100 proof whiskey - in case I need to bribe someone.

I should probably get a few cartons of cigarettes. People are willing to trade their food for cigs.

If something happens that goes beyond a month. Hell, it's everyman for himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit