id JWs RIP you OFF in the MARRIAGE Dept.?

by Ms. Whip 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip

This photo (taken from a JW group on AOL) is quite typical of JW marriage matches. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are great people as far as JWs go. But, it made me think. How many people had to settle for "less than perfect" marriage mates because they were a Jehovah's Witness? From my vantage point, beautiful vivacious girls outnumbered handsome guys by 10:1 and probably much higher.

The image has been edited due to privacy issues - Lee

I'm curious, did any of you get the "flim flam" in marriage? Did you regret who you married? If you could go back, would you suffer the shame and marry "out of the truth?"

• Emma
    Emma
    I'm curious, did any of you get the "flim flam" in marriage? Did you regret who you married? If you could go back, would you suffer the shame and marry "out of the truth?"

Yes; yes big time; I would have waited a very long time to marry if at all.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I am sorry but I fail to see how the JWs could rip you off in the marriage department...other than forcing you to put £100 in the contribution box for hire of the hall lol.

I agree that being a JW restricts your choices and that the chances of meeting someone 'perfectly matched' are considerably reduced but thats the choice you take; as for the couple in the picture....they look perfectly happy, what do you say is wrong with the picture?

DB74

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: Did JWs RIP you OFF in the MARRIAGE Dept.? Not me, but you might say my wife took it in the shorts.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Not me, but you might say my wife took it in the shorts.

hehe

• Ms. Whip
    Ms. Whip
    as for the couple in the picture....they look perfectly happy, what do you say is wrong with the picture?

um, not a thing I guess. lots of strong black amazonian women marry pale, thin whimpy white boys and turn them into silly white rappers (notice the jw guy's opened shirt and large chain) It's all reminiscent of "Kip" Dynamite and LaFawnduh Lucas of Napoleon Dynamite fame. Of course there is nothing wrong with marrying your opposite as long as you're in love and he/she's the perfect one for you. My point was, many JWs have to "settle" for the one nerdy-goofy guy in the congregation that's single. The criteria for marriage is more what a good minesterial servant he is or how many hours he puts in service NOT what's important, like compatibility, mutual respect or financial security.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    um, not a thing I guess. lots of strong black amazonian women marry pale, thin whimpy white boys and turn them into silly white rappers (notice the jw guy's opened shirt and large chain) It's all reminiscent of "Kip" Dynamite and LaFawnduh Lucas of Napoleon Dynamite fame.

Never accuse you of over generalising can we Ms Whip? lol

My point was, many JWs have to "settle" for the one nerdy-goofy guy in the congregation that's single. The criteria for marriage is more what a good minesterial servant he is or how many hours he puts in service NOT what's important, like compatibility, mutual respect or financial security.&

Yes agreed, the temptation is always to look for alleged spiritual qualifications as opposed to the ones most important in a relationship; that approach is flawed for the following main reasons:-

• The alleged spiritual qualifications are based on an outward show of acts rather than what lies beneath the veneer.
    • You never get to see whats below the veneer because your not allowed to spend time with them unchaperoned or without company.

So while I am sure the guy on the photo is genuine and loving to his wife he might have been an axe murdering weirdo; and while I am sure she is the dutiful dub wife she might well have been a bunny boiling psychopath. You simply do not know what you are letting yourself in for when you 1) dont apply the right selection criteria and 2) have the opportunity to make an informed choice even when you do.
    Db74

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

here is how the dubs and elders Jack you up on the marriage front. There is the classic leading a sister on. You go out with a sister once or twice and they expect you to propose any day. you're not allowed to get to know different women and experience different personalities in the dating game.

The second way is anybody your thinking about getting with they will push you along the marriage path withthat person. This goes for men and women. never mind the the brother was abusive in past relationships, they will never warn a sister. nevermind if she is Bi-polar they will never notify the brother. The way they look at it if you are married thats another hook they got in you to keep you going to meetings and getting 8.5 hrs a month.

• Highlander
    Highlander

No offense to anyone,, but there is just something wrong with the way that guy is dressed. A nerdy white guy, wearing a chain along with his unbuttoned shirt.

It's just not right, I hope they don't live in a rough neighborhood, he won't last a week.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, and this guy is a badass stud that could kill me with just a look.

• Brigid
    Brigid

My marriage at 21 while a witness was a disaster!! I look at other 21-year-olds and they look like babies--I was having a baby before my 22nd birthday! No time to live and experience.....sew my wild, wild oats

~Brigid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit