Divorce came through

by cyberdyne systems 101 15 Replies latest jw friends

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Time for reflection I guess, I had thought I was further along in the healing process, but sometimes I seem to slip right back to where it all started. Though I will never go back, I can see why people cling to something like the Witness. They want to think they are doing something worth while, have some order and purpose in their lives, have a pool of people that can befriend. I know that one can't go back to something like that once you know the truth about it, and in many ways why would you want to, but it some ways it would be nice to go onto automatic pilot again.

I guess i'm looking at my life and thinking whats the point of it. I feel all alone, I seemed to have pressed a self destruct button and pushed everything I had away from me. I cant change the past, I can only work on my future, and I do try, but right now its an uphill struggle. I know that it might just come across as someone who has little to complain about, and compared to many I guess thats true. I'm of reasonably good health, have two gorgeous kids, i'm self sufficient. Something feels like its missing though, why cant I muster up a possitive attitude? Maybe the reality of the divorce stirs this up? I dont want to be a burden to anyone, and yet I know if anyone else came to me i'd encourage them to talk about it, why wont I allow myself the same? Sorry for ranting but I dont know anywhere else i can get this out.

CS 101

• serendipity
    serendipity

((( Cyber, )))

I haven't gone through this, so I can't offer specific suggestions. I imagine your feelings are natural, but they can be temporary. It seems for every major life change we end up taking two steps forward and one step back. I'm sure some others have ideas to help you to get unstuck and move forward.

• codeblue
    codeblue

(((Cyber)))

"Life is difficult"... a quote from the book: The Road Less Travelled (great book....I would encourage everyone to read).

I got divorced 8 years ago and can totally relate to your post. Being divorced and starting life over without your life partner is a severe shock to your system.

But now you are divorced from the WTBS. You are dealing with 2 divorces.

I went thru the 2nd divorce about 3 years ago, when I realized the WTBS was hypocritical.

So I understand the double whammy. Yes, many do not leave the WTBS because it is a struggle to start over with new friends.

Posting here has been very therapeutic for me. I realize there are many here that feel likewise.

I was also able to meet some posters in person, which I feel is very valuable in healing. (speaking for myself that is...not all need that) Are you able to meet any posters in your area?

Be kind to yourself and allow as "much time as you need" to heal. You can't set a time limit on healing. It is an individual process. However, if you are stuck in one of the processes of healing, it might be time to seek professional counseling from a person experienced not only in exiting a cult but in divorce.

Codeblue

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

Thanks for your comments guys - very helpful, I guess when your feeling a bit low all you want to do is tell someone and let it out. I know the healing will happen and for the most part remain reasonably positive about things. I like your suggestion regarding meeting people who have been through the same things, so anybody in Surrey want to meet up????

CS 101

• parakeet
    parakeet

CS101,
    ***They want to think they are doing something worth while, have some order and purpose in their lives, have a pool of people that can befriend.***
    Your statement reinforces something I've often thought about many JWs--they're emotional and spiritual cowards. Instead of facing the immense challenge of life head-on, they scurry into a seemingly safe little nest where their thinking and choices are all made for them, ready-to-go, like baby pablum. They don't want to realize that they're really in a trap, not a safe haven.
    ***I guess i'm looking at my life and thinking whats the point of it. I feel all alone, I seemed to have pressed a self destruct button and pushed everything I had away from me.***
    You, on the other hand, have made the leap into living your own life, on your own terms. That takes courage, and it doesn't always feel good. Have faith in yourself that your courage will see you through your present crisis. Best of luck to you.

• juni
    juni

Hi CS 101

I don't live in UK. But I can offer some words on the subjects you wrote about. I found the organization of JWs the answer to my prayers when I started studying when I was 21. Came from an emotionally abusive homelife, married at 18, 1st child one year later and a second boy 3 years later. This was where I was at when I started studying. Just loved the "feel good" warm and fuzzies at the Hall. Took on different sisters as my "mother". Pioneered w/the help of others. Everything rosy. Two more kids came later.

After 21 years of a lot of hard work keeping up w/meetings and taking care of a family, I left. DAed myself. I won't go into all of the details. When I came out I didn't know what to do w/myself and my time. Because before everything was planned out for a person. I felt so guilty, but I knew that what had all transpired was not right.

Came close to committing suicide and then got help. My counselor said something that has stuck in my mind all of these years - she said, "Sounds to me like you are being harder on yourself than God would be".

You know in this org. they pound it into you that works (mtg. attendance, service, etc.) proves your faith in God. Therefore I never felt like I was good enough or could do enough to please Jehovah. So I burned out. All of my friends were nowhere to be found for help. They were busy knocking on doors and going to all of those mtgs. Working their way into Paradise!

I had no encouragement or understanding from my husband who also got out. He was a MS for many years. To make a very long story short, we eventually separated as he turned to another woman - he put no effort into comforting me while I spent my time in a fog (depression). He told my daughter about his tryst- like they say the women is the last to know. I moved in w/my daughter and her husband and took along my 2 dogs. I worked close to their home and this arrangement lasted for 2 years. I never cried so much in my life. I felt like my heart had been cut out. Then I moved w/them to another city all the while keeping up my counseling appts. Had to get another job, which did work out, and kept busy. But I was hurting so bad and since we had been married for over 30 years and had a lot of history I just couldn't let go. We got back together. Sometimes things are good; other times same old crap. My husband is a person who has good qualities, but has always had a problem with being a "know it all". Always has to have the final say/word. And also, once someone has cheated on you, your love for them is never the same. The trust has been broken. I always think he may be cheating again. I've suggested counseling for us, but for a person who has an ego problem this is not too appetizing of an idea. Atleast, now, I stand up to him and call him on crap. He doesn't like it, who would, but tends to back down. Just gets moody.

I wish now that I would've remained single and waited for my soul mate to come along. But I have to live w/my decision. I can feel your emptiness. All I can say is this: enjoy each day, your kids, your friends, simple things, set your boundaries with people (don't be pushed around anymore) and do what you can to bring some happiness to someone else each day.

I know the pain. I deal w/it almost on a daily basis, but those were my choices. I definitely don't want sympathy here; I'm just sharing my story w/you so that hopefully you won't feel alone with these feelings.

The best to you and peace,

Juni Just read your post Parakeet. Very well put.

• Brigid
    Brigid

Cyber,

You are going through the hardest, darkest leg of your journey. I know you cannot connect with these words right now, but when you look back in a little while, and see that you are still breathing, you'll be okay. Maybe you'll just be driving down the road one day back home and you'll think, tonight, I can watch anything I want to on tv. I don't have to live with the tension anymore. I can pick up takeout and not do the dishes 'til tomorrow if I want to. I can flirt with my cute waiter (or waitress?) and no one will care. I can take a pottery class.

The world's your oyster, hon. This is rebirth.

Embrace....

Love and Light,

~Brigid

• Robdar
    Robdar

(((((Cyber))))),

Divorces can be devastating and the next few years are going to be tough. You can expect to have feelings of anger, grief, and melancholy along with sleeplessnesss and weight loss. Even though your friends will be a big support, there will still be times that your lonliness will be unbearable. This is all a natural response and there is no need to fight these feelings. If you do, they will only make you sick. Try to go with the flow and don't forget to eat well and take care of yourself. Please remember that this, too, shall pass. You will come through this to a better life.

Best wishes to you as you start your new path.

Robyn

• cyberdyne systems 101
    cyberdyne systems 101

I've not been able to get online for a few days, but I just wanted to say thank you to you all for your kind words and encouragement. It means a lot that there are people who understand and can be a support.

CS 101

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

CS 101:

First, I never was a JW and my brief time here has taught me that theoretical knowledge and personal experience are two completely different things.

But I have been divorced for about 4 years now, so my tuppence-worth if it's any help at all.

I was married for 23 years (half my life at the time of divorce). We have two grown-up kids, now 23 and 25. The divorce was very amicable, and it's probably true to say that we still love each other, just not in the way that allowed us to stay married. My job had a lot to do with why we separated.

I think it's pretty normal that when you divorce after many years of marriage you feel a little (or a lot) lost. The former 'anchor point' of your life has gone (and it was easy to take it for granted that it would always be there). The feelings of loss, sadness, and fear of the unknown are, I'm sure, fairly common. When one is recovering from something like the JWs I can only guess how much this would make the situation worse.

But there are positives, too, especially if you can maintain (at least) civilised (and preferably friendly) relations with the ex, and meaningful relationships with the children.

For (perhaps) the first time in ages you have the space and freedom to work out who you are as an individual, not just as a spouse and a parent. Depending on your religious and moral views, you can go overboard for a while and enjoy the 'worldly and sinful' pleasures you never considered before, without hurting anyone.

And when you're ready to move on to a new relationship, which can take a long time, you bring to it a lot more knowledge of life and understanding than you had before. But just a word of caution (from experience) - don't let loneliness, or the enjoyment of a physical relationship, drive you into a lasting committed relationship too soon or with the wrong person. The real feelings that matter in a lasting relationship - love, friendship, companionship, caring, sharing etc. etc. - will surface again, and you'll recognise them when they do.

Sorry I'm not in the UK, or we'd share a few beers (or get drunk in the gutter, as appropriate).

Good luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit