Dub email exchange r.e. Crackdown on outside food in D.C.

by ringo5 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ringo5
    ringo5

I for a while discounted the reports that suggested there were stern warnings against bringing in outside food and drink into the conventions.

But this email exchange from a few of my relatives concerning Tim Horton's coffee, which is a basic staple for the dub ministry in Canada, shows that they don't mind adding any more regulations to their already extensive list! (so far, I'm still on their email list)

In the first email, #1 dub notes he picked up his coffee before heading in to get his seats....(not pasting this one as there are too many names)

#2 dub response:

You were allowed Tim Horton’s coffee at the assembly? Ours (and the assembly the week before) was confiscated at the door, and they read stern announcements at each song, practically naming the guilty offenders. If the letter and discussions weren’t clear, those messages sure were!

Even those of us who had obediently transferred our Tim Horton’s to generic no name insulated cups felt so guilty that a lot of them went cold!

#3 dub response (she lives in Africa):

Sorry, am I missing out on something here?

You mean you were not allowed to take your Tim Hortons cardboard cups into the assembly hall? My oh my…well, guess I am living in the third world for sure….you mean people sip their coffee during the sessions? Or before the session or???

Here, coffee is just kicking in as a ‘yuppee, or is it ??’ beverage..but people don’t usually eat on the streets, although it is starting .

Behind the times,

xxxxx

#1 dub reply:

No! I NEVER took Tim Horton's coffee into the convention!!

I bought it as we left for the site, and drank it along theway!

In fact, i think there was almost universal obedience to the direction that we not bring food openly marked from other fast food places, into the venue.

I didn't see a Tim's cup the whole weekend, and I sure wasn't about to! But needed a fix for the day, for sure!

xxx

# 3 reply:
    Wow, a touchy subject obviously,,,, even xxxx sent me a message.

Ok, have a nice weekend, all, I’m working tomorrow am…feeling a bit below the weather today. And we have the CO’s meeting tonight…

Guess I will survive. Unless it is windy, now that it is cold, our garage meeting place is rather chilly in the evenings in June and July..yeah I know..wimp

See you all,

Love,

xxxxx

When Jesus comes back, he better not be carrying any Tim's coffee or they'll boot his ass out...

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

They (the WTBTS) are not happy unless unwritten laws are being circulated amongst the drones. Classic example.

• anewme
    anewme

Nope! I sure wouldnt be attracted to this organization today, no sir!
    Not my cup of tea (or should I say coffee!)

• greendawn
    greendawn

I can't see their motives for banning external food and drink unless it is economic, apparently they don't want to lose on the profits they make from food sales. That's typical of the money minded WTS, they put a ban on it and make them feel guilty if they buy some. Another instance of mind control and manipulation.

• Scully
    Scully
    I can't see their motives for banning external food and drink unless it is economic, apparently they don't want to lose on the profits they make from food sales.

The JWs haven't had "food sales" at conventions in over a decade due to Simplification™. They usually have an agreement with the venue's concession vendors such that they decline concession services on the grounds that JWs will not utilize them (more $ for the Contribution Boxes™) and will bring their own bagged lunch from home. If someone from the venue were to be watching JWs bringing in "fast food" from the competition, it would be construed as a breach of contract, and the JWs would likely lose the ability to negotiate with the venue in the future, or perhaps would be refused the use of the venue during the next round of negotiations.

On a related note, perhaps the WTS is becoming more aggressive about enforcing this policy because they are running out of venues who are willing to allow them to refuse concession services, which would increase the cost of renting the venue.

I wonder if this is part of the reason why I haven't seen a District Convention in my city in over 5 years.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    On a related note, perhaps the WTS is becoming more aggressive about enforcing this policy because they are running out of venues who are willing to allow them to refuse concession services, which would increase the cost of renting the venue.

Oh, FFS, Watchtower! Just ALLOW the concession stands to open! You seriously think that people who've had to provide everything themselves are suddenly gonna get real generous near the donation box? Well fed, content people who've had an enjoyable conference experience are FAR more likely to cough up for your cause.

Of course, Watchtower, you COULD change your policy of never paying one red cent in sales tax/GST/VAT to Uncle Sam/The Chancellor of the Exchequer/Peter Costello, and begin charging for convention food and your precious magazines. You know, like you did in the good old days when you actually had cashflow?

• dilaceratus
    dilaceratus

I find it hard to believe that even the mentally weak and easily manipulated members of the Jehovah's Witnesses could be convinced that Tim Horton's serves any beverage that resembles coffee.

Upon one of my violent outbursts concerning this alleged "coffee," and the deep emotional distress it had caused me, a friend who lived in Ontario confessed that she had, on occasion, been forced to swallow same, and the only way to do it without gagging was to keep saying to yourself "It's not supposed to be coffee, it's only supposed to be a hot drink." I have not put this method to the test.

• metatron
    metatron

I can tell you that at conventions in New England, brothers had no trouble with bringing in Starbucks coffee. I actually like the snacks at

Tim Horton's better.

By the way, if someone reaches out their hand and places it on your chest to stop you, you can quickly swing both your hands over his

and capture it on your chest. After that, quickly bow down to them. Japanese-style. It can be quite painful and humiliating. ( martial arts move)

metatron

• Emma
    Emma

dilaceratus, that's too funny! It's like calling herbal beverage "tea."

• Scully
    Scully

dilaceratus writes:

I find it hard to believe that even the mentally weak and easily manipulated members of the Jehovah's Witnesses could be convinced that Tim Horton's serves any beverage that resembles coffee.

Upon one of my violent outbursts concerning this alleged "coffee," and the deep emotional distress it had caused me, a friend who lived in Ontario confessed that she had, on occasion, been forced to swallow same, and the only way to do it without gagging was to keep saying to yourself "It's not supposed to be coffee, it's only supposed to be a hot drink." I have not put this method to the test.

What the heck are you trying to do..... start a war?

Even though I'm not a coffee person (gave it up last year, and hated Starbucks' coffee except when it was souped up with loads of sugar and flavor shots and whipped cream) you're bound to make some folks pretty upset with statements like that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit