Is Jesus YOUR Mediator??

by Lady Liberty 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Hello Everyone,

Just sent this to a friend. Thought I would post it here as well, for any of you who have never seen this, or who may need it in the future when talking to friends and family still in.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

(From the Watchtower- 1979 April 1st issue page 31, under qustions from the readers.)

Questions from Readers

Is Jesus the "mediator" only for anointed Christians?

The term "mediator" occurs just six times in the Christian Greek Scriptures and Scripturally is always used regarding a formal covenant.

Moses was the "mediator" of the Law covenant made between God and the nation of Israel. (Gal. 3:19, 20) Christ, though, is the "mediator of a new covenant" between Jehovah and spiritual Israel, the "Israel of God" that will serve as kings and priests in heaven with Jesus. (Heb. 8:6; 9:15; 12:24; Gal. 6:16) At a time when God was selecting those to be taken into that new covenant, the apostle Paul wrote that Christ was the "one mediator between God and men." (1 Tim. 2:5) Reasonably Paul was here using the word "mediator" in the same way he did the other five times, which occurred before the writing of 1 Timothy 2:5, referring to those then being taken into the new covenant for which Christ is "mediator." So in this strict Biblical sense Jesus is the "mediator" only for anointed Christians.

The new covenant will terminate with the glorification of the remnant who are today in that covenant mediated by Christ. The "great crowd" of "other sheep" that is forming today is not in that new covenant. However, by their associating with the "little flock" of those yet in that covenant they come under benefits that flow from that new covenant. During the millennium Jesus Christ will be their king, high priest and judge. For more detailed information, see Aid to Bible Understanding, pages 1129 and 1130 under "Mediator"; also God’s "Eternal Purpose" Now Triumphing for Man’s Good, page 160, paragraph 10; also The Watchtower issues of February 15, 1966, pages 105 through 123; November 15, 1972, pages 685 and 686, under the subheading "Leading the Way to a New Covenant"; and April 1, 1973, pages 198 and 199, under the subheading "The New Covenant."

• greendawn
    greendawn

Where do they base the idea that Jesus is the mediator of only a part of the believers? Even if we are to suppose that only a part will go to heaven does that necessarily imply that the rest do not have the same mediator? Even if they are supposedly staying on earth?

There is only one church and one body, not two.

• robhic
    robhic
    Where do they base the idea that Jesus is the mediator of only a part of the believers? Even if we are to suppose that only a part will go to heaven does that necessarily imply that the rest do not have the same mediator? Even if they are supposedly staying on earth?

Christ, though, is the "mediator of a new covenant" between Jehovah and spiritual Israel, the "Israel of God" that will serve as kings and priests in heaven with Jesus.

I am certainly no scholar of WT-speak, but from the part above, it looks like they're taking "Spiritual Israel" and doing their damndest to twist it into the implied meaning of "kings and priests in heaven with Jesus" = Spiritual Israel = JW annointed.

Yeah, I can see that. Clear as mud.

• Lady Liberty
  • Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

BTTT for Newbies..

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

This was the organization I was baptized into. One that baptized you in the name of Christ, not the WTS. I don't know if they ever fully had "the truth" as claimed, but they really screwed this up somewhere along the way, that's for sure.

If you're a Christian, by definition, Christ is your mediator...who else? Certainly not an organization of suits.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer

Jesus is mediator to all Chritians, whether of the anointed or not. 1 Tim 2:5,6

That is why we can approach Jehovah in prayer THROUGH Jesus due to his sacrifice....all part of the New Covenant.

The New Covenant also paved the way for selected ones (chosen ones) to rule with Christ in the coming Kongdom.

TE

• Chalam
    Chalam

Jesus is mediator to all Chritians, whether of the anointed or not. 1 Tim 2:5,6

Indeed!

1 Timothy 2:5-6 (New International Version)

5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time.

That is why we can approach Jehovah in prayer THROUGH Jesus due to his sacrifice....all part of the New Covenant.

Only those who are IN the covenant can approach the Father through Jesus.

1 Corinthians 11:25 (New International Version)

25 In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me."

Mark 14:23-24 (New International Version)

23 Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, and they all drank from it.

24 "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many," he said to them.

John 6:53-54 (New International Version)

53 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

The New Covenant also paved the way for selected ones (chosen ones) to rule with Christ in the coming Kongdom.

Romans 2:11 (New International Version)

11 For God does not show favoritism.

John 10:16 (New International Version)

16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

1 Corinthians 10:17 (New International Version)

17 Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

Blessings,

Stephen

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Yes he was then and he still is...and I'm glad its not confined to a limited few...

Loz x

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, I consider him to be. I do not accept the assertion of any other person or entity who presumes to insinuate themselves into this position.

Making divine claims is the height of arrogance as far as I am concerned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit