Technical info requested on WT printing/binding (any Bethelites out there?)

by cathyk 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cathyk
    cathyk

I'm a bookseller who's delving into the history of book production. Since I'm a collector of WT publications, I'm especially interested in any information available on the following:

• Printers: Prior to 1919, most of the books and magazines published by the WTS were printed by commercial printers. I would like to get information on which printers Russell and Rutherford contracted with.
    • Binding: I am interested in any information on suppliers of the bookbinding materials used by the WT. Information about which materials were "home-grown" as opposed to those purchased from outside firms, types of coatings used on the cloth bindings (like most of the Rutherford "Rainbow" series), types of paper, etc. Any info on what commercial printers used in the production of WT publications is welcome, too.
    • Typefaces: I'd like info on names of typefaces used over the years in the books, booklets, tracts, and magazines, especially in the titling.
    • Printing processes: Stereotype? Electrotype? I know Dogpatch has info on his site about the switch to offset printing in the 80s. I also know that Linotype and Monotype was used from the early days of the WT starting up its own presses.

I know this is all pretty arcane, but it floats my boat. So if any of you old Bethel printery/bindery hands can help, I'd appreciated it!

Thanks in advance!

Cathy Koenig

Old Lighthouse Books

• Nina
    Nina

The simple answer is to call WTBTS and ask them directly. Explain what it is you want to know and ask who might have access to the information. Ask for the names of some of the people who worked these jobs years ago; chances are you can either speak to or write to these individuals and learn all you want to know right down to the smallest details.

Some of the information has been published in various yearbooks and WT articles. To get the whole picture I recommend going straight to the source.

Nina

• cathyk
    cathyk

Thanks Nina. Yes, I will be writing to the Society. In case they don't answer, as sometimes happens, I am trying to amass as many sources as possible. I am already in the process of researching yearbooks, especially the 1975 one, the various histories, and older publications. My questions were based on information not provided in those sources -- at least, information that I haven't yet found in them.

Cathy Koenig

Old Lighthouse Books

• Nina
    Nina

Cathy,

Caaaaallllllllllllllllll them! Phone.

Letters take forever at WT and are handled by a correspondence committee.

I'm saying call. You'll get instant information. The person you speak to may even be able to direct you to specific publications.

WT can be very friendly if you handle them right.

N.

• cathyk
    cathyk

Thank you, Nina. I will try to give them a call as well. However, it will work out better for me if I can get detailed answers in print.

There are several reasons for this, most of which involve my personal time being tied up with business and family matters, especially with the kids home for the summer.

In fact, I travel to New York on occasion to visit family, and hope to re-visit Bethel in Brooklyn (and Wallkill if I can find the time) so that I may talk to people face-to-face and view any relevant displays. The last time I did so was over 20 years ago; I imagine there have been a few changes since then.

Cathy

Old Lighthouse Books

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

What an unusual hobby for an nonJW. You seem to have a deep familiarity with the WatchTower Society even referring to them as "the Society". Just how did you become interested in the WT publications?

• cathyk
    cathyk

I've had to answer this question so many times I should probably just prepare a form letter.

In the summer of 1973, when I was 14, the JWs called at my house and left the Truth book. They tried to get me interested in a study, but I decided I'd rather do my own independent investigation. I became intrigued when I found out about the expectations concerning 1975, but was never in any danger of converting from Catholicism. The nuns at my high school raised an eyebrow when they saw God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years Has Approached sitting atop a pile of my textbooks, but were otherwise unconcerned. Not much can ruffle a Josephite's feathers, that's for sure.

There was a family from my church which did convert en masse. One day the girl who was my age was in class; then she wasn't. I later saw her at the Kingdom Hall when I went to check out the Sunday "public talk" and Watchtower study. There were also a couple of JW families in my immediate neighborhood. I played with one set of JW kids when I was very young, but that was only an occasional thing.

I began to collect the books, booklets, and other literature. It was cheap and easy, since they used to have catalogs and do direct sales. The only unwelcome price was the inevitable follow-up visit. But I didn't really take off as a collector until I ran across The Harp of God at a library book sale. It never occurred to me that I could actually find these old books so cheaply! I began to scour every sale and musty old bookstore for more, and pretty soon I was on my way.

So, my familiarity with the lingo comes from many years of reading the publications on-and-off, in addition to outside books. I have a collection which ranges from Russell's time through present-day publications, and a pretty wide selection of non-WT books about JWs, ranging from indifferent to hostile. I'm a never-was, but I've picked up on some of the phrasing and catchwords. I actually cringe a little when I hear people refer to someone as "a Jehovah Witness" instead of "one of Jehovah's Witnesses."

My interest in religion isn't confined to JWs, but that's the bulk of what I've collected. I love books in general, which is why I got into the bookselling business. It doesn't generate a lot of income for me; at this point it's been more of a luxury or hobby. But I do get to work around books and book people, which is lovely.

Thanks for asking!

Cathy

• stev
    stev

This is not quite on the subject, but the most interesting early BIble Student printing I have seen is the early Convention Reports published by Dr. Jones. The photos are great. It gives the best picture of the atmosphere of that period. The convention reports capture the color and attraction and comraderie of the movement at that time. The world tours, the Bible Student trains going from convention to convention, Russell's public lectures, the thousands in attendance at the conventions. The local tourist attractions at the conventions. Russell's address to the Jews at the Hippodrome, the PhotoDrama. The public advertisements. Dr. Jones probably had much liberty in what he could do with the reports.

The convention discourses show the creativity and individuality of the pilgrim speakers, some of them showing striking originality in form and content. And the testimonies and stories of the brethren show them to be lovable eccentrics.

Just about all the books on the JWs miss the colorful character of this period, and the cause of the attraction to the movement.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

I know that the WT Society used WB Conkey in Hammond, Indiana before they started binding their own books. I don't know if this was an exclusive source or not, however. I remember hearing the name mentioned by Knorr in a lecture to the Bethel family back in the early 70s. After I left Bethel I worked in a book bindery in Arizona for several years and worked with people who had also worked at Conkey and when they mentioned the name it rang a bell and it stuck in my memory.

I remember Knorr saying that they sent Bethel family members to work at Conkey and learn the trade so that when they started their own printing and binding they knew what to do.

You can read more about WB Conkey here:

http://www.hammondindiana.com/WBConkeyBooks.html

http://www.hammondindiana.com/WBConkey.html

Cabasilas

• cathyk
    cathyk

I REALLY need to get to bed, but thanks for the input, stev and Cabasilas.

Stev: Are any of the early convention reports on-line to look at?

Cabasilas: Many thanks for those links! That's interesting about Conkey, because they also published editions of Daily Food for Christians, which was used by the early Bible Students. I've got a copy of Daily Food sitting on my desk right now, as a matter of fact. The location is listed as Chicago, though. I'll check out the links in the A. M.

Cathy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit