new blood article in August Awake

by choosing life 21 Replies latest jw friends

• choosing life
    choosing life

When I first started talking with JWs, I remember a brother saying if you took a heart transplant that you would take on that person's personality. That statement sent up major red flags. Then I convinced myself that it was just one ignorant individual. Little did I realize that it was an entire ignorant and controlling organization. I wish I would have listened to some of the many red flags in the beginning. I feel as if I just fell off a truck and woke up this past year. I really believe that brainwashing is alive and well in the JWs.

choosing life

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Hi choosing life
    Thanks for an interesting post, and welcome.
    I love your choice of name!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Choosing Life - did you pick up on that nutty teaching they had that the physical heart is somehow tied up in the mental thought process - it was sort of like an anti-brain that worked its own will against your brain's logical thought process. Physically! It could lead you to sin!

I remember having to make a huge fiberglass heart and brain for an assembly when they put out this "new light". Each one would light up as they fought over whether their hypothetical person was going to commit an immorality in this part!

Believe it or not, I was talking with the overseer who gave that talk, and told him that I felt like the brain was your thinking organ and the heart was your blood pumping organ. He chastised me over it - and gave me this ridiculous argument: But, when making love to your wife, your heart gets to beating faster, so see - it is all involved in the emotions of sex...blay blah blah...and you are right - if you got a heart transplant, you could very well get some evil strangler murder's heart to lead you astray.

We need to ask around to see if this stupidity is still being taught...

James

• undercover
    undercover
    We need to ask around to see if this stupidity is still being taught...

It's not....but they didn't come right out and say, "Our bad! Sorry 'bout that!"

They just reworded it later in newer publications and kind of just dropped that whole idea.

I remember studying that when I was a kid and thinking that it didn't make sense. Shortly after we studied that I remember an episode of some TV show, "Emergency", I think it was, where the paramedics brought a guy in to the hospital and his wife was complaining that since his heart transplant he was acting abnormal and she wondered if it was his new heart that caused it. The doctor assured her that the heart was only a pump and not responsible for his personality change, but it could be something else and they needed to run tests. My JW mother harumphed and snorted and commented under her breath that it was too his heart paraphrasing what we had studied from the publications.

• juni
    juni

Welcome Choosinglife. We all look forward to your comments and concerns and questions. Thanks for your posting about taking blood fractions.

I remember having to make a huge fiberglass heart and brain for an assembly when they put out this "new light". Each one would light up as they fought over whether their hypothetical person was going to commit an immorality in this part

I remember this so clearly James! Our assembly was at the Milwaukee County Stadium. It never made sense to my husband and myself. But it did keep the kids' attention!!

Those were the times of long assembly days - into the evening. And the delicious hot meals that the bro. and sisters made.

Juni

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome choosing life!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Welcome Choosing life:

The blood issue was the final straw that made me leave the organization too. When I took a first year human biology course to get my nursing degree, we had an entire chapter devoted in great detail to the function of blood. It immediately made me realize the JW's had it wrong. First of all, biologists do not even classify the major components of blood as do the Witnesses in their article. Secondly, the minor fractions often make up greater volume than the so called major components. Thirdly, a component and a fraction are the exact same thing in the dictionary. It's a distinction without a difference as is the argument that the bible doesn't comment on minor fractions. (As opposed to how it comments on major components?) Finally, every witness who has ever eaten meat has eaten blood. That red "juice" that leaks out of cut meat is the residual blood and fluid that is released out of out of the capillaries when the tissue has started to break down. I can't believe I never knew that before. Its amazing how a little of that college education can break your faith isn't it? No wonder the Society doesn't want Witnesses to go. To think that children die over this illogical nonsense is mind-boggling!

Hope to hear more from you.

Cog

• Caedes
    Caedes

Welcome CL,

Come in put your feet up and have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Welcome choosing life, super post...

The new article in the August Awake has completely blown the witnesses stand on blood

Gosh! Will it make the R&F 'think'?

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I'm quite glad they started coming out with this information about blood fractions, because it finally made me open my eyes to how stupid it all really is ! By the way welcome

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit