"Scientist Discover Atheists Might Not Exist..." "This is not a Joke!"

by JWCart 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Good comments NEJ.

It is a good thing that popular science is so readily available to us all. Unfortunately many people find it hard to distinguish between well established science and speculative hypotheses.

This isn't helped by some writers who need to sell books and lazy journalism.

String theory is one example of an idea that is still lacking in evidence and yet I have lost count how many times I have been told on this forum that "scientists have discovered there are 11 dimensions".

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

The recent gravitational wave fiasco was a great disappointment. Folks like Lawrence Krauss were on television the next day proclaiming that it "gave us a glimpse of the bing bang."

From what I understand, the findings had not been confirmed when the announcement was made and the scientists working on it were transparent about it. Upon further scrutiny, the waves were actually dust. Thankfully, the "retraction" barely registered in the media.

One thing we don't need is more "science was wrong" fodder for knuckle-draggers to hang their hopes on.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    How can atheist say somebody who cannot be subjected to physical senses does not exist while trusting only their PHYSICAL senses?
    - abiather

I don't know of any prominent atheist who holds this view. How do YOU know a God wouldn't be subject to the physical senses?

• Viviane
    Viviane
    From what I understand, the findings had not been confirmed when the announcement was made and the scientists working on it were transparent about it. Upon further scrutiny, the waves were actually dust. Thankfully, the "retraction" barely registered in the media.

So... science worked exactly as expected.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

My problem isn't with the science. It's with the way it's sometimes sold to the public. I put the word retraction in quotes because it was no such thing.

Science worked as it should but the stories the public saw were that a once in a generation discovery had been made followed a few months later by a "scientists were wrong yet again" headline. I would argue scientists should know better than to trumpet research before peer review is concluded, but the pressure to grab attention is all too often a driving force.

• abiather
    abiather

Coded Logic,

All those atheists with whom I have had interaction hold the view that they don’t believe in God because they cannot see Him (means God must be subjected to their sense organ of eye)

You are asking How do I know God wouldn't be subject to the physical senses?’ I know because, only when I switch off all my senses—including the mind with its thinking power, I move into Delta frequency which gets me connected to God (which is almost like logging on to His qualities. This is the experience of all those who know how to meditate.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein
    abiather you may be on to something there !

It makes all the logical sense when you meditate which is essentially removing thought and emotion from your conscientiousness toward nothing, that this where one can you can find God. God therefore is nothing.

Next time you mentally connect to God would you mind asking when he's going to fix all the problems he left humanity here on earth ?

• cofty
    cofty
    when I switch off all my senses—including the mind with its thinking power, I move into Delta frequency which gets me connected to God - Brahma Kumaris Recruitment Team

Tin foil hat stupidity.

BK cult info...

• abiather
    abiather
    Finkelstein

Why involve God in our problems? Humans KNOW very well how to manage their affairs, but they ARE NOT WILLING to do so. This is where God has no role to play!

Nokola Tesla had the technology to distribute electricity freely to people, yet commercial-minded scientists and governments did not want to go his way. This gives us a clue as to how our system of things works!

What we know is to create WALLs and to channelize all our resources to strengthen them!

What we have learned is to shift the blame on to others!

Why should God intervene in our affairs?

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

@ abiather,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Firstly, I think you know perfectly well that when atheist say they "don't see God" they're not talking about literal sight. They're referring to a lack of evidence and/or justification for a God. And, frankly, I feel it's more than a bit juvenile that you're attempt to poison the well of discussion with such a literalistic and pedantic response.

In regards to meditation and delta waves, I know how to meditate (I've been doing so since I was thirteen on a daily bases) and I have never experienced God. Furthermore, I know a lot of people who also meditate and they've never experienced God either. More importantly, delta waves are detectable by Electroencephalograms. And they've never detected God either.

I don't mean to be rude, but I think it's outright silly that you're claiming to be a God detector. What you're doing is taking the amazing experience of deep meditation and you're just trying to slap the label of "God" on it. Even more telling, is that you use language like, "This is the experience of all those who know how to meditate." It's transparently obvious that you're attempting to claim you have access to information which most other people don't. Not only is that sentiment not true, you're statement also isn't true. As I've already pointed out, there are lots of people who are capable of switching off the inner voice and experiencing deep meditation - but they don't claim to experience God.

We can address your position in terms of formal logic:

Premise 1.) I meditate.
    Premise 2.) While meditating, I move into delta frequency.
    Conclusion: I experience God.

Expressed as a syllogism, it's very easy to see that your conclusion does not follow from the premises. Delta waves are a part of the natural world. They are experienced by both believers and non-believers. Experiencing delta waves only proves that you're experiencing delta waves. It not proof of - or even suggestive of - experiencing a God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit