JW Convention in Edmonton, AB open to the public (weekend of July 1/06)

by Worldly 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Worldly
    Worldly

I thought some of you would be interested to know that the local convention is being opened up to the general public. A friend of mine and I have both received notices at our door to this effect. My friend used to be married to a JW and he said that this is not their normal way of doing things. I suspect that what some of you have said on this forum is true--that their membership is declining, forcing them to open things up this way in hopes of recruiting new cult members. What do you think? Also, my husband and I were home relaxing on our deck when the JWs came to our door. They did not ask to speak with us, just said that they were going to put something regarding a convention in our mailbox. I wish they would have identified themselves so I could have had a frank discussion with them with regard to my ex-friend who now shuns me, and how the JW ex-wife of my other friend kept his daughter from him after they separated. J

• JH
    JH
    I suspect that what some of you have said on this forum is true--that their membership is declining, forcing them to open things up this way in hopes of recruiting new cult members.

They won't admit that. They will rather say that the end is so close that they are going out of their way to invite all so that they esape the destruction at Armageddon, which is so close now.....really !!!

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the JW conventions have been open to the public "officially" for years. It is just that they want to get their members out from door to door more so devised this scheme with these invitations. The Watchtower Society has done this several times over the years.

• Worldly
    Worldly

Interesting info--thanks for sharing. When my JW friend and I worked together, he would mention that they had conventions or special meetings, but he never invited me or anyone that I know of. My other friend, who is divorced from his JW wife, said that the conventions here had not been open to the public previously. Maybe they only do it "as needed."

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I remember they used to have special efforts here to get the media out to the conventions in the hopes of getting good reviews in the paper. There were apostates outside one year too..they did everything they could to keep people from looking at them or talking to them on the way in..how welcoming is that.

• blondie
    blondie

No, your one friend must have been reluctant to expose you to the "holiness" at the convention.

The other one must not have gone very often or slept during the service meetings where JWs are trained and encouraged to invite their family, friends and workmates.

Especially the drama on Sunday morning and the public talk (see it's called the "public" talk) were supposed to draw in non-JWs.

km 5/99 p. 6 par. 20 1999 "God’s Prophetic Word" District Conventions ***

Because we welcome the public to our conventions, it is wise to take precautions regarding children and personal belongings .

• Worldly
    Worldly

Funny! So what happens when a member of the public goes to one of these conventions?

• blondie
    blondie

They might stand out by their dress or grooming or the cigarette in their hand. Attendants are supposed to be "alert" and welcoming. Mostly they will notice you don't have a name badge on (get those at the KH). They will view you suspiciously asking why you are there. If they haven't scared you off yet, they might help you find a seat and give you a program schedule.

Most "public" have some JW that invited them so have arrangements to meet up with them.

Very few non-JWs just walk in cold to a convention just from reading the PR in the paper or from being given a handbill or tract.

There is no way anyone but a JW will sit through 3 days, approximately 6 to 7 hours daily and listen to WT doctrine.

Blondie

• Worldly
    Worldly

Would they try and get your name and address and such so that they could "visit" later?

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I believe this year there has been a 'special effort' to invite the public using a special tract. At our latest convention there was even an annoucement asking for any experiences relating to inviting the public to the convention to be reported to the chairman's office so they could be related in the Sunday afternoon wind-up talk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit