"Letter-preaching"

by Hellrider 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Poztate
    Poztate
    I don't think everyone was allowed to count time...but why not. It was time taken out of the door to door.

Blondie

I don't remember counting time for it and it seems to me they wanted you to do the letter writing IN ADDITION to your paltry 10 hours or more. You got to supply your own stamps too.

• blondie
    blondie

Poztate, were you a regular pioneer?

Only regular pioneers were able to count the time.

I don't remember counting time for it

Just the way that regular pioneers can now count time when working on quick builds, working in administration at the conventions/assemblies, local pioneers around Wallkill used to be able to work at the "farm" and count up to 1/2 their monthly hours (45) each month they worked there.

Blondie

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

I think it`s really cool that the WTS allows people to do some less shitty, unpaid (!!) work than the shitty unpoaid (!!) door-preaching-work. They are very fortunate people, the Bethelites and pioneers...

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Our bookstudy group got together one day and did a letter writing campaign to Malawi. This was in 1975. My father who was an elder and the conductor at the time insisted we could all count time for it. Of course, he was always easygoing about that. He counted coffee breaks in the field service too. He said, "even worldly employers give you a paid coffee break!" Can you tell he was a union man? lol

Later in the early 80's, when I was pioneering, we did the hand written letter thing. Yes, it was suppossed to be just for the elderly and the sick. In reality, every pioneer who was short on their time at the end of the month would sit home with a cup of tea and the radio or TV on and write handwritten letter after handwritten letter. If you were short 8 hours you could do this on the last day of the month and still get your time in. Since you were writing the same letter over and over again, it didn't take much concentration. You could also kill another full day in the library, looking up names that went with all the addresses of your chronic not at homes. This was a big favorite on cold, rainy, winter days. Same for telephone witnessing. 6 of us around the table with tea, householder on speaker phone (not knowing) so the rest of us could look up scriptures for the one talking to read. Did it really take 6 people to make one phone call? Just another jig in the pioneer shuffle!

Cog

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

The only letter writing I remember (bear in mind, I don't think I paid much attention), was when the Congregation was encouraged to write/protest to various governments in 'foreign' countries over the mis-treatment of dubs.

Reckon the opposite would have a better success rate? Ex-dubs writing to dubs? Enclosing nice little snippets? I'd be up for it.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

There were a couple of letter writers in our kh, old ladys who couldn't get out easily. They used to do a bit of telephone witnessing as well.

• carla
    carla

I guess they ought to include their private address! How else can we send them info on the wt? Or have some of the various anti cult ministries send them literature? Or maybe they would be interested in a subscription to Playboy?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit